1940 Shelby wishbone

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
Kind of a rare frame. It’s a wishbone because the seat tube is positioned behind the seat stay junction. I was given this frame about 10 years ago where it had been in the rafters of an abandoned garage since 1960 when the owner died. It’s right near the top of my favorite bikes to ride. Long, smooth and comfortable. A little heavy. I built it up in several configurations as a klunker. At first it had a 1950s Bendix manual two speed. That hub was fun but it was hard to adjust and the coaster brake had a long back pedal to engage. It now has an E110 three speed coaster brake, homemade saddle, homemade water bottle carrier, 1930s Colson front fork, cut down MX bars and a front drum brake. It still has the as found multi colored greed paint finish under my respray. Someday I plan to sand the frame and fork and give it a two tone blue 2K paint job, along with lacing on a set of blue anodized Araya rims that I have had forever. It was built by Shelby but is badged as a Hiawatha, a Gambles department store brand. Gambles was probably Shelby’s biggest customer back then. IMG_2218.jpeg IMG_2228.jpeg IMG_2242.jpeg IMG_2227.jpeg IMG_4107.jpeg IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4110.jpeg IMG_4111.jpeg IMG_4112.jpeg

Last edited:
What an absolute beauty! And still ridden on the trails too. Homemade saddle looks intriguing
I’ve made quite a few. A lot of my springs come from abandoned recliner chairs from woods dumps. There aren’t hardly any fresh woods dumps anymore. I used to get bicycles and all kinds of useful stuff from woods dumps. I haven’t found a recent woods dump in 15 years. Most have been removed. Here is one I made from chair springs. Not real professional but works and looks old and used. There are people who can really make nice antique saddles that look new. They have reproductions of the saddle pan decals and metal badges. $400 for those, mine cost $25 or less. You get what you pay for. IMG_4094.jpeg

Last edited:
Back