1939 DX Schwinn Ace -- Finished

How wide is the
Sturmey Archer X-RD8(W) Hub ?

quite a bit more than the old ones ?

I have seen some new 8 speed at 135 mm

but what is the frame width at the rear ?

You not finished yet?

I get wound up waiting for the kettle to boil!! :LOL:

Those forks are sweet. What else do you need for the build?

al":1w7hi3pc said:
Those forks are sweet. What else do you need for the build?

Besides money :D

- TA cranks/chainset coming from Spa Cycles
- MKS BM7 pedals in the works

Still need:
- front hub
- to make a seatpost
- handlebars
- headset
- grips, cables, etc

This weeks additions to the kit:

- NOS MKS BMX-7 pedals
- Silver Z-chain
- TA stickers for the cranks that should be here soon

P1110038.jpg

P1110039.jpg

P1110040.jpg

One more addition for this week...

I found a NOS Tange MX-2 headset.

Looks to be much nicer quality than the Tioga MX-2 copy I used on the Fleet klunker.

P1110041.jpg

P1110042.jpg

Nice parts you're accumulating there. :shock:

Ah, to have a stash of NOS Arayas or to find a Tange fork.
I had the same fork on my BMX. Snapped the dropouts, in the end. I never even knew Tange did a cruiser version.

Any more updates?!

J,
Have you tried fitting that headset yet? Does it all look good. I appreciate it when you do my homework for me. Still need to find a headset for the "C" build. While we are at it (Ok I am being really being lazy here), what did you decide was the best spindle length for your TA's on the "C" build. I got a TA BB/spindle set up when I got my cranks, but have a hunch the spindle is too short. I am starting to slowly find a few parts for the "C". I will get motivated and post a build thread here on RB.

DM":1mxa72oy said:
Nice parts you're accumulating there. :shock:

Any more updates?!

Hi DM --

Slow as of late. Still waiting for the TA 175's and a 27T chainring from Spa Cycles -- there was a SNAFU getting them shipped out, but I think they went in the mail today.

Coincidentally, I did get my tires today though:

P1110044.jpg

Ductape":1yyqmesi said:
J,
Have you tried fitting that headset yet? Does it all look good. I appreciate it when you do my homework for me. Still need to find a headset for the "C" build.

Hey T,

Yes, the standard BMX headset with the 32.7mm cup outside diameter is what you want.

... what did you decide was the best spindle length for your TA's on the "C" build. I got a TA BB/spindle set up when I got my cranks, but have a hunch the spindle is too short.

On the "C" I put on a Shimano 68x115 with the TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit plus a 1mm shim on the right side, but I'm nervous it puts the crank arms too close to the chainstays, so I'm going to try a 118 on this build.

Also remember, I'm running single chainring -- you're going to run a triple -- right?

I am starting to slowly find a few parts for the "C". I will get motivated and post a build thread here on RB.

I see you put up some info on your builds tonight! Can't wait to see them start going together!

Latest posts

Back