17" 1995 Hardrock GS buff up

rmwesley

Retro Guru
Picked this up recently with a view to stripping it down, giving it a good clean and re-greasing / re-cabling / new chain etc. It had one careful previous owner who bought it in San Francisco in 1995 and didn't subject it to a particularly hard life down the coal mines. As a result I think it's come up quite nicely. As far as I can work out everything is original, with the exception of the saddle and possibly the tires (Specialized Crossroads II 26”x1.95″). Tires look used without a lot of wear so imagine they could be original.

Frame/Fork: 17" Specialized Direct Drive TIG-welded CroMoly steel, bright cobalt blue enamel
Wheels: 26” Joy Tech 95A hubs, Araya VP-20 rims, stainless spokes
Shift Levers: Grip Shift MRX-100
Front Derailleur: Shimano AceraX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano AceraX
Crankset: Shimano Tourney TY-30, 28/38/48 teeth
Cassette: 7-speed, 11-28T

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Interesting: there isn't an exact match for this model in either the 1995 or 1996 catalogues.

Looks in great condition, however.

What are your plans for it?

Interesting: there isn't an exact match for this model in either the 1995 or 1996 catalogues.

Looks in great condition, however.

What are your plans for it?

I couldn't find it in the catalogue for '95 either however the previous owner was adamant she bought it that year in the San Francisco then shipped it over here when she moved to the UK. To back it up I have seen another identical '95 one in the same spec and colour HERE.

In an attempt to "give a bit back" I'm planning to donate it to Bike Start Aldershot so it can be sold to raise money for The Source Young People's Charity.

Cheers, Richard

page1.jpg

It looks like a 1996 'Sport' frame, forks, perhaps stem, with the 1995 'GX 7' parts. Perhaps they had some of the GX 7's parts left over so they stuck them on the 96 Sport, called it a 'GS', and sold them in late 1995 in the US. It would scarcely be unheard of for a bike company to do something like that.

Anyway, good work and that looks like a good cause.

It looks like a 1996 'Sport' frame, forks, perhaps stem, with the 1995 'GX 7' parts. Perhaps they had some of the GX 7's parts left over so they stuck them on the 96 Sport, called it a 'GS', and sold them in late 1995 in the US. It would scarcely be unheard of for a bike company to do something like that.
Specialized was pretty good about producing NorCal only oddball stuff. Mostly color related, but sometimes bikes too.
I have the exact same bike as the OP but with Mavic wheels (purchased used, 30 clams), I live about 80 miles from San Francisco.

Back