11-32 cassette with M953 rear mech? Too large?

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I was indexing my M953 today on a new 9sp 11-32 cassette, but in the lowest gear it looked like the top jockey wheel needed to pivot down slightly to run the chain in line. If I shifted on to the second lowest sprocket, I could see the mech spring the jockey back up.

Question: is 32T too large for a 953 rear mech? :? Wouldn't have thought so, as a quick search suggests the 953 mech was 34T. B-screw maybe fooked? Didn't seem to do much when tinkering with it.

Re:

I have an M952, is the difference just mine changes gear the right way;-)
I had the clicky clicky noise one day, soon after the mech got close to a log,
seems I had split the B adjustment plate in two. I have it changing gear on a 11-34T cassette and it works OK.
I had an M735 mech that wouldn't work with a 32T sprocket, the parallelogram and
cage tension spring can go in either of two holes, set the cage to tight and you
can't keep the jockey away from the cassette.

Re:

This should be fine with the cassette and mech...maybe the mech is worn and not springy enough?

firstly yes, 11-32T cassette will work fine with M953 rear derailleur (even older M900 XTR rear derailleurs work fine).
the actual shape of the frame dropout, can affect the amount of B tension bolt required. another factor is an overly long chain can have the same detrimental effect. its also worth checking that the plate on the back of the derailleur, that the B tension bolt screws into isnt bent or damaged.

Back