Wanted 1" threadless headset

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Looking for a 1" threadless headset please. Looks like the one I have has obsolete shimano bearings in so best to replace the headset I think. Thanks

I’ve got a campy chorus one.

Attachments

• E099711B-83EB-4DBB-ADC5-18FCBCE9D19D.jpeg
    E099711B-83EB-4DBB-ADC5-18FCBCE9D19D.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 7
  • AC0BAE1F-D56B-47DA-84B4-28D6D0950C93.jpeg
    AC0BAE1F-D56B-47DA-84B4-28D6D0950C93.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 7
Shimano bearings, aheadset? Can you post a pic? We've got 3 drawers of headset parts - sorting your old one should be best value

Shimano bearings, aheadset? Can you post a pic? We've got 3 drawers of headset parts - sorting your old one should be best value
They're BC-1's but I think a previous owner has mixed cups and associated bearings from a threaded headset with a rogue top cap which doesn't fit, hence looking for a new one

I dont think shimano ever ventured into ahead - rumour had it at the time that diacompe wanted millions for the patent.
Bc-1 is stamped on some shimano headsets to indicate the thread pitch afaik, so your headset is definitely a bodge - as a rule that won't work.
I'll see if we have a used top assembly inch ahead - assuming your lower set is ok?

Go to your local engineering bearing place, the kinda of unit on an industrial estate with the existing race and they'll probably have one

If it's a shimano race (bc-1) it probably doesn't have the flat angle to take a cartridge bearing, and if it's a mix up of ahead and threaded, there's probably also a mismatch between the cup and cone.
It's also likely part of the wedge assembly is missing.

We see mismatched headsets all the time, they are truly horrible, and if one headset is missing a part, it can't usually be taken from somewhere else.
You can replace the top assembly or the bottom, or find the correct parts.

I'd go with FSA orbit for a rider, their ACB headsets aren't half bad. Haven't tried their 1" but their 1 1/8 makes the bike go and has a surprisingly nice feel to it.

I'd also look at Cane Creek, their "40" model comes in 1" threadless and isn't much more expensive if you want something a little nicer. Never sported one of those but I'd like to.

I don't know if Tange is as good as they used to be, I have 30 year old Tange headsets that are still going strong. They make a 1" threadless but aren't exactly giving them away.

Blue Lug has some Fairweather 1" headsets that look nice. Visit that website with caution, there are way too many gorgeous Phil Wood headsets on display. Lead me not into temptation.

I'd rather have a new, cheap headset than an old one that doesn't pre-tension correctly. I have things to do, other than to be constantly fiddling with a headset that's beyond its service life. Out with the old, in with the new, go for a ride.

Back