£4,400 for the new Orange 5 SE!!!!!!!

graham1975":3g7clb9s said:
I just think all bike shops should not make as much on bikes and sell them at cost that way all bikes will be cheap!!

Welcome to Capitalism Comrade :roll:

Where are Cube bikes made? are the EU or far east, as far as I recall the shitty single pivot bike (that incidentally seems to win awards left right and centre) is actually made in Halifax still.

Now I may be wrong, but if not there is a huge cost difference between churning out thousands of frames to a standard template in the far east than there is churning out hundreds of bikes in the UK...even in somewhere as depressed and financially disadvantaged as Halifax.

Anyway, as they said, buy retro.

graham1975":13g1qb6s said:
I just think all bike shops should not make as much on bikes and sell them at cost that way all bikes will be cheap!!

i really do hope that was a joke comment. i did my time in the bike trade, i know how hard i worked, and i know the profit margin of good but small single shops, one of which is also an orange dealer.

would you go to work if you made little or no money?

good independent bike shops have to fight the mail order giants, ebay, chains like evans, halfords, cycle surgery, and now the supermarket numpties, on top of that they don't get the volume discount rates that the bigger companies can get yet are expected to discount to the mail order price and still include thier customer service and free fitting.

the bike trade was the hardest work i have ever done, the most time consuming and at times was the most frustrating.

there is a common joke in the bike trade:-

"how do you mike a million quid in the bike trade?"

"start off with 5 million quid!"

sorry for the rant but that comment just boiled my piss.

hence why I picked up a couple of year old 5 frame for £300. new fox forks, hope/stans wheels, slx gears, nice finishing kit, couple of used bits to finish off, came in at about £1k

:)

No way I want to spend £4 on a bike which for the most part in use, will be little different...

JeRkY":sxxz2vej said:
Where are Cube bikes made? are the EU or far east, as far as I recall the shitty single pivot bike (that incidentally seems to win awards left right and centre) is actually made in Halifax still.

Now I may be wrong, but if not there is a huge cost difference between churning out thousands of frames to a standard template in the far east than there is churning out hundreds of bikes in the UK...even in somewhere as depressed and financially disadvantaged as Halifax.

Are you just jelous that i live near Halifax as there is some of the best man made single track in England there!!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/04 ... l-diaries/

Yes of course it was a joke regarding the bike shops selling the bikes at cost, how could they possibly do that

graham1975":35vhrtkr said:
JeRkY":35vhrtkr said:

Are you just jelous that i live near Halifax as there is some of the best man made single track in England there!!

No I am saying that sadly Halifax is one of many areas in the country where there are lots of people who are looking for jobs that are not there, yet the labour is still more expensive than it is in the far east.

On top of this there is the relative weakness of the pound on the global exchanges which does have an impact on material costs.

You're right it is a hell of a chunk of money for a bike, but I would doubt he decision to set the RRP at £4400 would have been made lightly or simply on the principle of greed.

I don't believe I mentioned singletrack anywhere in my post. Although yes I do miss it now that most my time is spent in London.

Moving away from all the hyperbole, the 2011 Five frameset is £1400, including a £300 RRP shock. In 2008 the frameset was £1175. We all know that everything bike related went up in price by 20% between 2008 and 2009, so I fail to see where the issue lies? If you can't afford the SE spec, go for the S or Pro. I honestly fail to see how you can credibly use the cost of goods as a criticism of Orange, or any other manufacturer. Lazy trolling, at best.

Tallpaul":1g5w89kz said:
Moving away from all the hyperbole, the 2011 Five frameset is £1400, including a £300 RRP shock. In 2008 the frameset was £1175. We all know that everything bike related went up in price by 20% between 2008 and 2009, so I fail to see where the issue lies? If you can't afford the SE spec, go for the S or Pro. I honestly fail to see how you can credibly use the cost of goods as a criticism of Orange, or any other manufacturer. Lazy trolling, at best.

exactly right. if this was facebook i'd be clicking the "like" button on that comment.

Back