£1 Voodoo - Voodoo Hoodoo project

Wow ! their has been a fair few changes of late and yes i really do like the way the Voodo looks in the pics ;) but reading about wormingunder the paint work is never a good sign although it seems you may have resolved the issue thank goodness and regardless of the bike being bought where it was and it's condition you've alot to be proud of by saving it and breathing new life back into it which surely does earn my respect .

Well the new change of parts and resolving the situation with the brakes will have given the bike a nice new fresh feeling and as for choice of forks i can't give any suggestion due to my lack of experience with suspension and it's really sounding intersting regards appearence so i'd love to see some fresh pics and as for your lack of riding it over a long distance tbh i can't believe that you haven't already done so but i guess were all guilty of neglecting our steeds at some stage of ownership so soon as the weather is looking promising as you've already hinted at doing so any way , get out there and enjoy and any little tweeks can be sorted out on the ride lol ..

Wow this is fab, all of the title pulled me in but well done, It's now a pity that repair cant be somehow deleted. maybe next refurb, looks great. I still have a Generalized Rusthopper ex rat project I inherited it would work great with that kind of paint job, I want to strip the rust but I expect it will have permanently affected the metal so thought about a translucent powder coat with/out colour, a flat colour seems too easy/boring.

The 'worming' under the paint is not that bad - it's all on the surface of the metal, and I know the metal is good underneath having stripped it back to the bare steel. Any time the bike starts looking 'too' ratty I can fairly simply strip it back & repaint/recoat/change the colour to a different translucent finish!

The idea is it will be a living project in a way; the colour will gradually brown underneath, but without causing permanent damage to the metal if carefully managed, and I can every now & again repaint if I need to.

I never got on with the Hope brakes to be honest, so quite glad to switch to the Shimanos - and that kicked off a whole revamp!
It's now developed an 'American' theme, so along with the Easton wheels & Crank Bros bars, it's got some more Answer kit, and my AC crankset, all in black.
The SID forks are 400g lighter than the Maguras. That sound like weight weeny-ism, but to remove that weight from the front end has a big impact on handling, a little more floaty rather than crashing through everything. When you remove that much weight off the front it's big.

Also the change-round in removing the green kit, liberated it to go on a new mud bike (On-One Scandal) so have also switched the tyres for grey Schwalbes front & rear, and swapped the drivetrain to 2x9 XTR replacing the more period-correct 2x8 LX - which went on a '97 bike, so that's all good!

Pics will come soon of the Purple, Black & Blue-kitted Voodoo if I manage to get out on it next week when I'm back home! ;)

Latest posts

Back