Weinmann BCX 1/2 rims - any good? Hub identification help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bought a very tidy Dyna-Tech from sidewinder here on the forum and have some plans for it, though not sure what to do in the wheel dept. I have a wanted ad out for some hope wheels (anyone help me out?), and have a few options in the shed, but I noticed that the rims have a decal on them that reads '93 Norba XC champion'. Now I know decals can be made up for anything these days, but these are old rims with old decals so believe them to be genuinely old, but are they any good and should I stick with them?

The rest of the wheels I believe to be dt swiss stainles spokes, and what look like parallax hubs, though I can't be sure as they have no markings on them at all.

I'd like to identify the hubs though, may help me decide whether to stick with the wheels or use something else.

Hopefully I can post some pics up later today.

Any help gratefully received.

Ian

OK, it is later in the day (though not by much I admit) and I've got some pics of the hubs and rims.

Hub identification help wanted, as well as rim quality.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• mt3-rim-front.JPG
    mt3-rim-front.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,338
  • mt3-rim-rear.JPG
    mt3-rim-rear.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,337
  • mt3-hub-rear.JPG
    mt3-hub-rear.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,338
  • mt3-hub-front.JPG
    mt3-hub-front.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,336
rims are decent. designed in conjunction with Keith Bontrager, who fitted them to his bikes...

Thanks for the info, useful to know! Anyone know what the difference is between the 1 and2? Look the same to me, though the 1 is on the front and the 2 on the rear. Could it be s front/rear specific rim combo?

Can anyone help me identify the hubs?

ishaw":2a8ci6fu said:
Thanks for the info, useful to know! Anyone know what the difference is between the 1 and2? Look the same to me, though the 1 is on the front and the 2 on the rear. Could it be s front/rear specific rim combo?

Good question..if I remember correctly the differences were weight related and had different sidewall thickness, there were also BCX 3's which some lower end bikes used (such as Kona Hahannas). The BCX1 most likely is used on the front because it was considered less likely to suffer the same amount of abuse as the rear..

As for the rims in general, they were pretty good and light to boot and specced on a few various brands as a nice alternative to the usual Mavic and Ritchey type stuff, just be careful with spoke tensions with them having no spoke eyelets ;)

No idea on the hubs though..

David Baker used Weinmann/Bontrager BCX 1/2 on his Team Dyna Tech, so i'm guessing very decent indeed.

Cheers for that, I'm not up to speed with the retro mtb heroes of the past, as after a knee injury I stopped biking and 15 years later just getting back into it. Sounds like the rims are descent, just need to find out more about the hubs.

I believe the 1 was meant for front duty and the 2 was meant for rear. They also did a BCX "red dot" and "blue dot" that were also designated for front and rear. These were the rims spec'd in the 1996 Klein catalog. Not that common at least as far as eBay goes. I found a NOS pair that were up for auction just last week but I fell asleep before the auction ended. :evil:

I had a set of BCX 1 & 2 rims that came standard on my 1994 Barracuda A2X . These were the top of the line steel bikes from them, they came laced to XTR hubs and had butted spokes so I assumed they were pretty good wheels. The BCX 1 was the front and the BCX 2 was the rear (the 2 being slightly heavier). The one thing I remembered about them was it always seemed harder than normal to put on and remove tyres (taller braking surface?).

The 1 and2 were early front and rear specific from Keith and his very savey collaberative nature with the big boys. I am not a historian but remember somthing about a fire at a factory. This could be when the Red/front andblue/rear spots came out. Or was this when they stopped being issued?
I have read quotes from Keith talking about how the Bcx's were so early/weak design to the next generation of rims.
Taco time.

Back