Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
A couple discussions as of late motivated me to take photos of my two Fat City Cycle forks, one an early 90/91 Yo Eddy, and the other a later BOI (Big One Inch) from around 95. I've taken photos of them side by side from different angles, so we can compare and contrast them. I've also take what I've found to be the most definitive quote on the differences between the two, made by Rody over on fatcogs. Here's the quote:

Quote:
The Yo Eddy fork was a 1.125" bladed segmented crown fork that was standard issue on all Yo's until the introduction of the Fat Titanium, when the BOI (Big One Inch) fork was introduced (also coinciding with the release of the 10th as Colker pointed out).

The Big One Inch steel fork, utilizing 1.0" tubing, was then the standard rigid fork for all Yo's and TI's until the "need" for front suspension ceased production due to lagging numbers.

So...if your bike was produced prior to late 92 early 93, you would have a Yo fork...after that point in time, if you went rigid it was a BOI for you.

cheers,

rody


The red one (I will update with the exact color name later) is the Yo Eddy, and the green one is the BOI. Enjoy :)

:click images to enlarge:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Last edited by GoldenEraMTB on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
Beautiful forks and colours, suppose might as well as which fork is considered to be the better one (if such thing can be decided?)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:32 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
clockworkgazz wrote:
Beautiful forks and colours, suppose might as well as which fork is considered to be the better one (if such thing can be decided?)


Well, I plan on putting both to use, so I hope to know first hand.

I'm going to get them on a scale as well, though one has a much longer steerer tube, so it probably won't be a fair comparrison on the scale.

I would think that the larger diameter tubing on the yo eddy would lead to a stiffer/harsher ride that the thinner diameter legs of the BOI.

A question I have:
Were all BOI forks suspension corrected? Mine appears to be, and many of the ones I've seen have tons of tire clearance compared to the yo eddy fork, this can be seen in the pics; it's a much taller fork.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:27 am
Posts: 47
Location: NYC
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
A question I have:
Were all BOI forks suspension corrected? Mine appears to be, and many of the ones I've seen have tons of tire clearance compared to the yo eddy fork, this can be seen in the pics; it's a much taller fork.


Here is some info that I received in an e-mail directly from Fat City quite a few years ago, that may help solve some of your fork questions:

"There are two different forks and it gets more complicated than that.

First of all, the threaded Yo Eddy! fork was introduced with 1 1/8" diameter blades. Some time later, threadless steerers were introduced.

Then, in 1992, our Big One Inch fork was introduced -- still not suspension adjusted -- and, if I recall correctly, that was exclusively threadless.

Then, we built many Big One Inch forks adjusted for 2" of suspension compatibility and then, finally, after we moved to New York, they were adjusted for 2 1/2" of suspension compatibility.

The trick to identifying these many creatures is to measure the blade length. That will be the determining factor in establishing the vintage. Blade OD will help to identify the vintage, as well, as in ALL Big One Inch forks are more recent than the pre-suspension Yo Eddy! forks."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
fatmikeynyc wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
A question I have:
Were all BOI forks suspension corrected? Mine appears to be, and many of the ones I've seen have tons of tire clearance compared to the yo eddy fork, this can be seen in the pics; it's a much taller fork.


Here is some info that I received in an e-mail directly from Fat City quite a few years ago, that may help solve some of your fork questions:

"There are two different forks and it gets more complicated than that.

First of all, the threaded Yo Eddy! fork was introduced with 1 1/8" diameter blades. Some time later, threadless steerers were introduced.

Then, in 1992, our Big One Inch fork was introduced -- still not suspension adjusted -- and, if I recall correctly, that was exclusively threadless.

Then, we built many Big One Inch forks adjusted for 2" of suspension compatibility and then, finally, after we moved to New York, they were adjusted for 2 1/2" of suspension compatibility.

The trick to identifying these many creatures is to measure the blade length. That will be the determining factor in establishing the vintage. Blade OD will help to identify the vintage, as well, as in ALL Big One Inch forks are more recent than the pre-suspension Yo Eddy! forks."


Thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:23 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 2461
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
The red one (I will update with the exact color name later) is the Yo Eddy, and the green one is the BOI. Enjoy :)


Green?

I think you mean Chameleon Metallica ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:25 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
andrewl wrote:
GoldenEraMTB wrote:
The red one (I will update with the exact color name later) is the Yo Eddy, and the green one is the BOI. Enjoy :)


Green?

I think you mean Chameleon Metallica ;)


:lol: yes yes, and the red is sunburst metallica iirc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:37 am
Posts: 4916
Do you have the frame to match the Chameleon BOI?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Good thread Rob. Heres something to consider also. I have a Yo fork on my 92 Yo Eddy and the axle to crown measurement is 390 mm. The later Yo fork i have on my Ti is 410mm. Both have Campy drop outs and both have threaded steerers. When I bought the longer fork for the Ti it had a decal on the leg the same as in your pic. We need to keep digging and work on a definative timeline of what changes were made and when.

Si


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 2461
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
The matching BOI on my 96 Yo frame has Campag dropouts too.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group