Orange P7 questions. Frame ID and rust advice content.

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Good afternoon.

Can anyone confirm if my Orange P7 is in fact a 1997 vintage? I've been making comparisons with catalogues on the web and here on retrobike. The conclusion I have drawn is 1997 by comparing decals and eliminating the fact that the frame does not have a rear cable stop braze on or disc mounts.

The frame number is A606001379.

Also, can you protect the internal surface of the frame from rust with a suitable oil of some kind? Whilst the frame is not rusting, it doe have a light cover of rust type residue internally.

I'm ready to place the order for new decals and then off to the sprayers - at last! Must admit i'm bored with the scrubbing and polishing of parts etc, but i suppose patients is a virtue.

Ta very much.

SSL10776.jpg

I disagree with XCDave. I was told by a guy who works for Orange that it's the first three numbers after the letter that tell you the year and month your bike was made ! i.e. The letter A is probably the shift in the factory that made the frame ( A shift/B shift etc... ) 6 = 1996, 06 = June ! So I reckon you've got a june 1996 bike. :D

ooooh - a proper vintage from the summer of 1996 :D

If it is a 96 then I would feel better about puting 95 decals on cos Gil_M doesn't have decals to match those on the frame.

Cheers geetee61.

And if you don't want to spend £20 on JPs framesaver. Buy a can of Waxoyl from Halfords... £6.99 :)

:LOL: retro gurus and old skool heros know nowt! :LOL:

97, 96, and now 98. :roll:

thanks for the nudge on waxoyl Russell. By the time i've budgeted for RC36 fork service and framesave - this build has cost me £1,006,345.09 ;)

Many thanks comrades.

Ok done me research, I think thats a june 96 build date...

If so its already had one refurb!

Good luck with the build up :cool:

Russell":3b5mo20c said:
And if you don't want to spend £20 on JPs framesaver. Buy a can of Waxoyl from Halfords... £6.99 :)

Or spend a few quid less and buy a can of supertrol which after using on the frame and around the battery tray on my car I actually prefer to waxoyl :) it's a bit more runny / searching - I still have waxoyl, I just reckon st is better for thin tubes ... :)

Back