1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype *Final result!*

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As I am getting closer to finish this project, I thought it would be nice to start a topic about this restoration.
It actually started almost ayear ago. As my wife is Italian, I am in Italy a lot. As I picked up cycling again, mostly some MTB and XC, I thought it would be nice to have a bike there as well. So I looked on the national auction side for something nice and not expensive. Then I came across this bike. I had no idea what it was, but I instantly liked it. This is how it was:
org3.jpg

It was advertised as a Magura Black widow, which of course were the names of the brakes and pedals, but showed the lack of knowledge of the owner. As always, I payed way to much, considering the state and quality of most parts, including the broken Spinergy Roks wheels. I even had a moment I thought it was a homebuild bike, but the serial on the BB gave me some confidence.
I decided to rebuild it with some nice parts and at least give a repaint. When removing the 7 old layers of paint, I came across the original logo on the head:
DSCN3041sm.jpg

Trying to figure out what was actually written, I finally found out it was a Rafty. We have another owner on the forum, so he knows all about it, but Rafty was cult bike in the mid '90's here in Holland, as it was one of the first aluminium MTB bikes. Only a few were made.
This made me decide to take it a bit more seriously. I researched parts from that era and made my wanted list. By now, I have almost everything together.
In the mean while, I learned that the original builder, Edward Hagen, was still making bikes, parts and skeelers, and actually runs a machine shop in almost the same town as were I live! A few weeks ago I stripped the frame almost completely:
DSCN3044sm.jpg

I contacted Edward and he confirmed it was a bike from his hand, but also told me this particular one was a sort of prototype as all other Rafty's had a round front tube. Only 2 of these with the square tube were made.
He offered to fix up the frame a bit, like polishing the welds. He also resprayed it, and applied the original decals!
Last week I got the message it is ready. I am now waiting for my headset to arrive, as he has the press for it, and will press it in when I collect the frame. I hope the headset will arrive this week.
The parts list is really what I wanted, although I am a bit insecure about the colour theme, bit still pretty impressive anyway.
I will keep it a surprise for now.....

Watch this space for the next update!

PS: sorry for the long text, but I thought a bit of background would be nice.

WOW! :shock: :cool:

I really like the look of that,

Nice that you have tracked down exactly what it is, but even sweeter that you have been able to speak to the creator of this beast and get his assistance in restoring it ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished item.

Gary C

Re: 1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype

Senri":29s12stx said:
PS: sorry for the long text, but I thought a bit of background would be nice.

dont apologise. i enjoy reading about projects as much as looking at the pictures.

it looks awesome, even in the before pictures so i'm sure its going to turn out to be pretty impressive.

i will watch with interest

Ha!

that is fun!,..A Rafty! :D

i can remember the stand they had bitd on the Tweewieler rai , was like a student living room.

I think Mel has one also

B

Re: 1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype

Senri":e3e00pgh said:
I thought a bit of background would be nice.

The background was spot on. That's a great looking bike, good luck with the build!

thats a great story :D what is the new colour scheme?

Cool! Bikes and stories like that are exactly what 'retrobiking' is all about for me.

Really looking forward to seeing the build.

Russell":4fg3wccu said:
Cool! Bikes and stories like that are exactly what 'retrobiking' is all about for me.

Really looking forward to seeing the build.

agreed :D

Thanks guys, for listening to my yabbing! As for the colour scheme, I first searched for all the parts. I had a specific list and to find these NOS or in a very good state is already hard enough, without taking into acount a specific colour.
So I ended up with some purple anodized parts, which I matched with some other small parts. I thought about the frame for a long time, looking up many pictures from this forum and googling. Then I decided to go to the painter as he has a lot of frames hanging in different colours. I took some purple parts and just held it next to it and bang! Poison green it was!! The green with the purple is stunning, I just can't imagine it yet with the rest of the parts in black and silver finish and even some other colours as well. Just have to see when I build it up, I guess.

Back