'94 Dawes Special Edition (no 10/250)

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Dawes Special Edition, No 10 of 250, came with a certificate signed by the managing director of Dawes! Still have this too. This bike is not listed in any of the Dawes catalogues.

EDIT 02-12-09 Nov 2009
BoTM 2nd place :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=440

This was my 3rd MTB (After a Raleigh Amazon & Saracen Tufftrax), bought on December 31st 1993 for £430 (list price £499) I have done over 3,000 miles on this bike over 3 years until it got relegated.
I kept some of the orginal parts but others have been thrown/lost/damaged, but I have been buying replacements over the last few months.

I have a soft spot for this bike as we have been through so much mud together! :D

Original spec new
Reynolds 501 Custom Dawes Tubing
Spinner made Tange double butted forks
Full STX Special Edition Groupset (the original one, which later became STX-RC)
Campag Stheno rims
Continental Baja supercross tyres
Kalloy seatpost / stem
Vetta SL saddle
27lb

New Pictures 19-10-09. Finally finished! Had a quick blast and it's a joy to ride, fast, responsive, brings back lots of memories! It is all back to original, bar the pedals and the tyres

PA191269low.jpg

Dawes_Certificate.jpg

A little play with the pic, highlights the paint scheme quite well!

PA191269alow.jpg

New Pictures 17-05-09. Built the new Campag rim on the back today (haven't built a wheel for over 14 years but it turned out good). NOS Leader Pro front tyre.
Still need Vetta SL saddle and shifters that work!

SNC12722.JPG

SNC12723.JPG

SNC12725.JPG

SNC12729.JPG

SNC12732.JPG

Here is a pic of it a good few years ago, probably 1994, the only picture i have, took me ages to balance it on the toeclip!

dawes6.JPG

That is cool as fook :cool: , I have never seen one and am really quite taken by it.

It great that you have had it since new and have the full story on its history and special edition.

Cheers

cant wait for you to build this up complete, with the correct sadle tho! ;) :LOL:

post the picture you have it when it was new :D

Wasn't sure how the colour scheme would go down as it is a matter of taste even back in the day!

It's always been a brilliant XC bike. Did have some MAG21's on it for a bit too. Can't wait to finish the build and give it a blast, havn't ridden it in original form for over 10 years!

Edit: added new picture

Nice project, if you stumble across any Conti baja/supercross tyres please let me know! Desperate for 1 or a pair!

sinnett177":1590d1af said:
Nice project, if you stumble across any Conti baja/supercross tyres please let me know! Desperate for 1 or a pair!

pm sent

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the paint scheme!
Only need a few things to finish this project, but time/money will slow things down.
Ideally i would like to have it resprayed, but who on earth would be able to replicate it!!

Back