1st project - Alpine Stars Cro-Mega LX 1989

PeeBeds

Old School Hero
Hey guys,

Ive been hangin around for a week or so and normally, when Im new to a place I like to scope the joint out for a month or so before I do any posting, but RetroBike just gives me a good feeling, so here we go....

The bike Im going to build in this project is the second MTB I bought (the first being a 22" bright green Raleigh Lizard) when I was 19. I got the bike as a "last years model" sale job in 1990, I think I paid £300 for it brand new. At the time the shop had a couple of Cro-mega DX's for sale for £350, but I wanted some shoes and shorts too, so couldnt afford them on my apprentice wages.

First race was at a place called Tong near Bradford in the Yorkshire MBC series in 1990. I raced the bike for about 3 years and in that time upgraded the brakes to some Dia-Comp canti's with Ritchey levers, I also junked the plastic STI shifters for some DX thumbies. A pair of DX SPD's and a DX front mech with an XT rear were also added, as well as a pair of RC35's from Stif in Leeds (back when the "shop" was a wooden counter in a garage!!) Wheels were changed for Mavic 231's with DX hubs and a pair of Onza Porcupines. I also changed the chainset for a pair of Cooks and fitted an Action-Tec Ti bottom bracket.

The bike was eventually traded in for an Orange Aluminium O, but it was resurrected in about 1994 by my then-girlfriend (now wife) who raced it to great effect, only changing to a Trek 9800 when she turned expert at the end of her first season!!

The cool thing is, I still have the majority of the original gear, as well as the upgraded bits but I dont have the Pace forks, saddle or the tyres anymore.

The frame itself is in a fairly rough condition, its still got mud on from its last ride out and is chipped all over the place. Its been crammed in the back of the garage for about 8 years now and the headset is well siezed. Its now got one arm of a DX (I think) chainset and still has the Action-Tec BB fitted which still spins as smoothly as the day it was bought ;)

Right, question is, do I go for the upgraded spec (mostly DX) or back to the crappy original plastic guff that came in the first place? I think it will be a lot easier to build the DX stuff up personally, and probably make for a more pleasant riding experience. Also, do I get the frame painted and try and source some new decals, or just clean it up as it is?

full.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

bits.jpg

What I have realised is that, other than my road bike, all my bikes are retro :) I still race a Trek 9900 Pro Issue (in VW colours) with XT V brakes, Mrs Beds still rides her mk1 Trek 9800 with Control Tech canti's and my cross bike must be 10 years old, in fact its got the Cooks cranks on it :D.
Ive also noticed that my garage is doubling up for a tip and needs a really good clean out.....

I think DX or LX even, Tidy the frame as best you can, I would however respray the forks, They're looking a tad worn :cool:

nice bike btw.

Well, you've not done too bad for your early posting ;) Nice story.. And great that you've held onto the AS for so long [I wish I had with my old steeds]. Looking forward to seeing it cleaned up and on its way..

It's really a case of going for what you want. Period build are good, but if it'll mean you'll ride it less, then go DX :twisted:

You wanna have a chat with Hilts about this era Aplinestars, he's got a couple on the go :cool:

AS

S'gonna be good - we can never have enough AS projects around these parts IMHO!

Make sure you get some race shirts from the US - there's nearly always some lurid cloth to be had Stateside!

Mr K

Hello,

That frame takes me back. I had a Cromega DX in neon yellow, i think it may have been my first proper mtb.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers,Al

hi and welcome :D

i like alpinestars bikes, a mate had a similar one to that years ago but i'm sure it was aluminium. i'm gonna go on the search for a future project bike, the almega dx, the one with elevated chainstays, although i have to finish the clockwork then the aluminium O then the cougar, bugger i'll be ready to start looking for one in about 3 years! :( :D

Re: AS

mrkawasaki":4c9zpe4d said:
S'gonna be good - we can never have enough AS projects around these parts IMHO!

Make sure you get some race shirts from the US - there's nearly always some lurid cloth to be had Stateside!

Mr K

Oddly enough I think I still have my 2 AS jerseys from when I was racing the bike. The 1st was a dark pink and grey I think, the second was the splatter pattern that they made. I'll dig 'em out and get a piccy, I may even have my first pair of Pace shorts, the ones with the bright yellow side panels.......*shudder*

Nice bike and cool story :)

Personally I would rebuild it to the spec that you raced with as it sounds sweet, it shouldnt be too hard as dx (or even m730 xt) bits tend to crop up a fair bit on here and ebay, not too sure about finding the RC35's though. Did this era alpinestars have the 1 1/4 inch headtube as well?

As for the paint, it don't look too bad. Wash off the mud and keep it battle scarred ;)

That's a good looking frame and forks with solid history - I always enjoy a bike with back story.

For what it is worth I wouldn't respray but clean up - it's all patina and it's YOUR patina which is even better (plus you'll spend a lot on the respray and probably will have a hard time matching those lurid, in a good way, colours).

And build wise, for me it has to be DX or your race build if possible.

Thats going to be a cracking project. What a good choice of bike. Best of luck with it and I cannot wait to see some results. Ohh Deore LX (you can pick it up cheap on here) for me.

Back