FS: parts off my 1996 Kona Kilauea

tom.

Dirt Disciple
First off, apologies for signing up to your forum just to try and flog some stuff.

Basically, the frame on my 1996 Kona snapped while cycling through Southwark on Thursday and, given that threaded headsets, quill stems, etc aren't going to be much use on my next bike, I was thinking that I might try and sell the parts off it.

The parts aren't all original, but most of them were bought in 1996 (i.e. XT V-brakes) or are NOS (i.e. the rear rim). I also have some doubles (two sets of bars, two sets of brakes). The only things I won't be selling are the saddle and lights.

So, if anyone looking for some stuff to rebuild their 1996 Kona please make me an offer. I know it's not worth much, but if can't get the frame sorted under warranty I'm looking at sympathy pricing on a new one and every penny I can raise will help!

Thanks

If you're the original owner, the warranty should still apply- if so, they obviously can't replace the frame, but they are within their rights to get it rrepaired for you. In which case it'll go to Argos Cycles in Bristol, be repaired with a replacement tube and then given the prettiest new paint job you've ever seen. You lucky man!

They are saying "metal fatigue doesn't count, only manufacturing defects". I'm arguing the point though.

To be honest, I'd imagine that they will just (for convenience) replace the frame with the closest one they have in the current line-up which - luckily for me - is the Explosif with the (to my eyes) sexy sliding drop out. Time will tell though.

Obviously if the frame gets repaired I will no longer be selling all the parts off of my bike! Would make it a bit hard to ride, that.

Hopefully you'll get a repaired frame. But, if for any reason you don't i'd be interested in the Velocity quill stem ;)

My Kula frame developed a crack around the weld between the top tube and seat tube - sent off to Paligap, but they replaced the frame with the 2008 model, keeping my lovely one off paint job '95 model :cry:

Update

So it looks like my frame is being repaired, so I'm only going to be selling my "spares". They are in varying conditions (although tending towards the craptastic side of things), but they might prove useful for someone that wants to get a bit up and running while they wait for that perfect NOS part to appear.

Here they are (all prices are ONO and don't include postage):

Seatpost, 26.6mm (from 1994 Fire Mountain) £5

IMG_8611.JPG

Racelight bars (from 1996 Kilauea) £10

IMG_8612.JPG

Bars (from - I think - 1995 Lavadome) £5

IMG_8613.JPG

Curve brake levers (1996 Kilauea) £10/pr

IMG_8614.JPG

Curve cantis (1996 Kilauea) £10/wheel

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8616.JPG

Pedals (Wellgo, I think - 1996 Kona Kilauea. The bearings need servicing) £5

IMG_8617.JPG

Curve cranks (note that the non-drive side arm has a rounded taper. These would mainly be useful for someone with half a set of cranks as the good crank can be run on either side, as the spider is removable. The rings and bolts are available, although they are very worn. Alternatively they would be suitable for a bike that wasn't going to get ridden. - 1996 Kilauea) £5

IMG_8618.JPG

Cable hanger for Project 2's (1996 Kilauea) £5

IMG_8619.JPG

I also have some other crap lying around (slightly bent XT rear mech and surprisingly not broken Sachs front mech, both off a 1996 Kilauea). Both fall into the "I'm desperate get a bike running with period appropriate parts until something NOS comes up" and aren't worth selling on their own, but are availble for a couple of quid to anyone that buys something else.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back