RetroBike National Series Rd 7: Long Mynd ~ Aftermath

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Aftermath thread from today's ride.

More to follow from me, got to unpack the car still. Great ride and big thanks to the East Mids lads for organising and of course to DSP for masterminding the whole series :)

much more from me too, once ive showered and eaten..........great day though chaps, weather, company and route all first class.......magnificent scenery.......sausage and mash........back soon! :D

Awesome day, some wonderful riding and really nice people - good to meet you all. :) Happy boy now... although aching like anything (think those rocky descents slightly destroyed the old legs - well that and all those climbs!)

Off to lie in a heap and cry for a while until I can move again - ready for bragging at work tomorrow. ;)

brilliant day out, enjoyed myself.

awesome views and enough up and down terrain to keep you busy!

big thanks to rob, ed orange and anybody else involved in making the day happen. all went well really, i make it just over 22 miles with mainly punctures to deal with.

knackered now :eek: may have to look a v-brakes in the future. :LOL:

some new faces today, some familiar and all good folk regardless.

some pics.

spirit of the ride. well done, this was a demanding ride and you did yourself proud!

PICT0017-4.jpg

other stuff.

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

PICT0008-4.jpg

elpedro666 climbing like jail-break.

PICT0009-3.jpg

PICT0016-4.jpg

PICT0015-5.jpg

PICT0013-5.jpg

liked this trek :cool:

PICT0011-3.jpg

PICT0019-4.jpg

PICT0020-5.jpg

PICT0022-4.jpg

PICT0026-4.jpg

pete with a flat.

PICT0024-2.jpg

lee, just flat ;)

PICT0027-4.jpg

cheers, see you all again.

Big thanks to all involved and top marks to Rob for making the most organised Retrobike ride I have been on yet ;) no burger gate or lunchtime feuds this time :LOL:

Long Mynd is somewhere I had never ridden before, but what a place, really enjoyed this , great terrain and scenery. I will add some pics tomorrow.

I'm glad the inside out Kona went down well again :cool:

Also had to mention the young un on the specialized , he was flying on this bike all the time and was super fast on the climbs, my 95 Kona was 1 year older than he is :shock: , well done that chap an xc racer in the making I reckon !

'"spirit of the ride. well done, this was a demanding ride and you did yourself proud!"

....nah, I did myself in! Great day out though, Thanks!!
:oops: :LOL:

i have been home about an hour, bikes put away, clothes dumped in the machine, munched some food, ready for bed as i'm up at 4.15am tomorrow for work, will add more tomorrow.

but thanks to all the organisation, bloody good day :D :D

Wow

What a day! After a nap and about five cups of tea my head is finally beginning to clear a little bit. I must've over done it...again.

I love riding in a big group like that as it makes me do a lot more than I normally would consider. The weather was absolutely fab (!) and the pub stop was magic again. Could we allocate an hour after the food for naps next time please?

I didn't say it when I left so I'll say it now - Thanks all, it was a great day.

Got back just after 6, washed, dried & lubed bike. Washed, dried & lubed myself. :LOL:
Now lying on the bed aching more than an achy thing but really enjoyed today, big thanks to Rob and all involved in organising, cracking group of people and the weather weren't too bad either :)

According to my GPS we did 23.3 miles in 3 hours 15 (total riding time, not taking stops into account)

8087739496_981308f752_z.jpg

8087689453_629da8275c_c.jpg

8087678110_d55f176152_c.jpg

The Demon in all its glory
8087668519_d1c8049990_c.jpg

8087653316_3e800c38d9_c.jpg

Blast from my past :cool:
8087641991_8ff08674dc_c.jpg

A few gratuitous Pace shots :D
8087628489_904b0abdef_c.jpg

8087606109_0b6e1306c7.jpg
8087598509_f9b6b6c583.jpg

8087619084_33ca940507_c.jpg

Thanks again for great day out ;)

Some great pics up already, look forward to seeing the rest.

Anyhow, back to yesterday.

Awoke early Sunday, scraped the ice off the car and drove West from the West Midlands to the East Midlands ride @ The Long Mynd in Shropshire. Geography was never my strong point, can only assume Shropshire is a part of the East Mids in the same way West Berlin was a part of West Germany.

Compass based confusion aside arrived early for more or less the first time ever. Good to see old and new faces and a fine selection of bikes as ever.

By the time we headed out the skies were blue and the temperature was heading in the right direction although it was still crisp. The first slog up cured any cold issues but was more than rewarding. The view from the top of the Mynd was classic stuff, This Is Why indeed :)

Progress was normal for a retrobike ride, plenty of chat, banter, the odd mechanical and plenty of mutual bike appreciation (and stem criticism). Good to see JB666's Demon. It may be modern but surely it's retro in spirit, top work :) Not sure if we'll see it again after DSPs entendres.

The pub stop for lunch arrived soon enough but ended too quickly. A fine choice of public house, it would've been easy enough to imbibe another bowl of chips (after eating Daj's - cheers ;) ) and pint or four.

Luckily Rob had arranged a 20 minute climb after lunch to warm us up and help digest that pub grub. Soon enough we were back on the top and heading down the awesome single track descent at Minton Bach (sp?). Karma dictated my rather impolite and impatient overtaking attempt on 3 or 4 riders ended up with me in a ditch. A road spin back saw the group back at the car park, muddy, tired and with a pint of Church End's excellent ale in hand.

Looking forward to Cannock already.

Thanks to

*Rob (rc200ti), Ed, Phil and the rest of the East Mids lads for putting on an excellent ride. Great route, great terrain, great pub and great weather. Win!

*Drystonepaul for masterminding the 2012 Event Series.

*Bikefood for their excellent support once again in 2012.

*Spencer and Church End for the apres ride ale.

*The British Fell Runners. Their easy going banter provided some light relief. Hope we get an invite to their Christmas Dinner :D

Latest posts

Back