1985 DiamondBack Apex

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This Diamondback Apex nearly ended up in the skip. The seller had purchased it many years ago from a student who had bought it form the original owner. Although not in a terrible state it is clear that it has had many years of use with only the minimal maintenance.
I stripped it down, most of it disassembled pretty easily except for the LH crank arm. The dust cap had seized solid so I had to cut that off but the crank threads were still clogged up with the remains so it made getting the socket on for the crank bolt a major job. No chance of getting the cranks extractor on so I used a bearing puller. The crank arm can be saved by chasing out the threads.

The bike is all original except for the wheels which are Araya RM20 on M730 hubs.

I'm not sure how to tackle the frame, either clean and treat rust then laquer to preserve, or colour match and blow over while preserving the decals, or a full strip and re-paint. The later is my preferred option but I would only consider it if I can get exact decals reproduced. The paint has a nice subtle fleck which sparkles but it doesn't come out in the pictures.

In my haste to strip the bike I forgot to take pictures of it!
And so the project begins :D

Here is a link to a nice example http://trek4fun.com/mountain_biking/198 ... k_apex.htm

P1020684.JPG

Here is the sellers picture.
img_0409_com_148.jpg

Frames after a strip down. I dare not touch the BB until is has had a weeks soaking.
P1020550.JPG

P1020551.JPG

P1020552.JPG

P1020553.JPG

P1020554.JPG

P1020555.JPG

P1020556.JPG

P1020557.JPG

P1020558.JPG

P1020559.JPG

P1020561.JPG

WOW!! As an avid fan of Diamond Back I've never seen one as old as that.

Even nicer that I prefer the Apex over Axis monicker. Thats some retro gold right there.

minor_LEGEND":lspga7tp said:
WOW!! As an avid fan of Diamond Back I've never seen one as old as that.

Even nicer that I prefer the Apex over Axis monicker. Thats some retro gold right there.

X2^
stunning is that, personaly I would de-grease t-cut and then touch up with model paints then a lite coat of laquer, I had the same quandry about my 85 dawes and this is what I have done (no laquer yet though) it was good enough to win bikeoftheride at the twizzler this year ;)
im loving the spoke holder too, a great find mate,
Lee.

Not sure when the first DB mountain bikes were, is 1983 the first one?

I've cleaned up the frame and there is quite a lot of chipping and surface rust. I think i've pretty much decided in a resparay, I think there would be too much touching up needed and would probably look worse.

I've not attempted the BB yet. I think i'll buy a new BB tool as my current one would probably mangle it.

I've tarted up the rear mech because it was heavily scratched and scored, may buy a new one yet as the stag detailing has been lost.

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

Apex

Really looking forward to seeing this progress.
Worth taking your time over I reckon - Fantastic project - Enjoy.
Simon.

Back