Frame identification help - Marin? two stays on top tube

Bri957cc

Old School Hero
My new Marin Team Issue frame has two sets of cable stops on the top tube, along with the usual pair on the down tube.

319948_10150276736845334_648760333_8367659_8271421_n.jpg

While I search high and low for a suitable fork to fit the frame, I thought someone may be able to clarify what the extra cable stops are for?

Why would it have four in total?

Cheers Bri

You seem to have rear mech stops on the seatstay not the chainstay, so you need two pairs of stops on the top tube - so it would be the two pairs on the down tube that would be one too many.

Has them on both the seatstay and chainstay...

The plastic cable guide under the BB shell shows that both downtube stays were used.

Maybe it was a test frame used to try out the White Industries LMDS derailleur system back in the time when Marin and WI had a tie in. The LMDS uses 2 cables running from the shifter to the rear mech:

28.jpg

img46571024x768.jpg

Just checked, there is no stop on the chainstay.

Have an idea what's happened, there is a small crack between the two upper stops on the downtube.

I think the extra ones have been added to take some stress away from the downtube.

Just as another thought, are you sure its a Marin? Just looking at the stays, dropouts, cable stops and canti hanger and they don't look too familiar. Also I am not sure that the 'Team Issue' came with mudguard and pannier mounts.

Bear in mind that I am not a Marin expert though!

I'll take some more pictures today, hopefully it can be identified, probably as an Apollo :LOL: .

Cheers Bri

Ah, I hope that someone will come along and prove me wrong but those chainstay and seat stays are not Marin. Marin has used a design called 'Afterburner' stays for many years (back to the early 90s). These are characterised by a more single-gauge, untapered appearance:

5378999663_10176358b3.jpg

best image I could find at the moment - it comes from a 94 but they were similar to this earlier on.

Yours has tapered stays ending in a standard dropout which looks far more like a Fuji Stoutlite frame with Marin decals applied (not a bad frame anyway!).

As I said, I hope someone proves me wrong.

I've got a older Marin with the afterburners...had not even noticed this one was different.

It does have a tapered seatube, getting bigger near the bottom bracket shell.

Back