1997 Mountain Cycle CXS

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
August 2011 - Initial Build

1x9 with reasonably early DMR chain-guide / tensioner thingy for that pretend DH look. 2.4 Mountain Kings just fit at the back and no more.

Kore stem and Azonic PDW bars. M750 cranks, shifter and rear mech. NOS Ritchey Vector atop a nearly-new Ritchey Classic seatpost I picked up cheap on eBay. The seat-clamp is a no-name lightweight Taiwanese job. Bright blue Superstar grips complete the garish cockpit.

Forks are really soft and were leaking. Fresh oil, seals and wipers and hey-ho, they still feel the same - probably invest in some harder springs at some point.

dsc5079nef.jpg

And up the Pentlands:

mohopentlands.jpg

dscf1314u.jpg

June 2011

I've been thinking of giving full sus another go. I was originally thinking Spesh FSR, but one impulse eBay purchase later, it would seem I'm now in possession of a Moho CXS frame :D

dsc3631nef.jpg

dsc3632nef.jpg

dsc3633nef.jpg

dsc3634nef.jpg

Came with a CK nologo headset, Stratos Helix Pro shock (original? I know they came on the San Ans) and a modern XT front mech. No air in the shock, so pumped it up to 130 and we'll see if it holds.

Initial inspection - everything looks sound, just a bit of chainsuck; Very little damage to the paint, it looks like it's led a pretty easy life and all it needs is a good wash and a bit of polish for the rear.

Leaning towards a period lightweight XC build right now (although I'll take a little lee-way when it comes to the forks, possibly late '90s SIDs) - open to suggestions and ideas.

Weight: 3.076kg

Very nice :D great colour too. You know I think those RAC forks would look good, even the bright orange bombers would suit too. Do you think there was a disc conversion adaptor? Could mikee rustle summat up?

think your tortoise is dead ZZ

@ kaiser , probably , and in a similar note am doing a rear disc fitting
for one of my recent purchases

love the colour ZZ

I've got some lime green bombers - 99 Drop-Offs I think. Mine aren't for sale as I like them a lot, but if you could source another set they'd go perfectly.

I'd be more inclined to go for something contrasting for the forks since they wouldn't be an exact match anyway, I'm thinking blue or reddy/orange would work pretty well. I'm still thinking a set of plush zokes might suit the frame a bit better than SIDs, but then again the weight weenie is strong in this one!

looks great ZZ a veritable bargain, send me the necessary steerer lenght if the sids are your choosen route ;)

A real bargain and a [complete?] CK headset too :D And the colours really nice too.
Stratos Helix Pro shock
I seem to remember these on Orange x2's :? I certainly remember it from the nice spring adjuster :?

I like the specialized FSR too :cool: I need a sus frame :(

Aye, headset was complete Andy, couldn't quite believe it, but it's all there, tie-wrapped nicely - couldn't see it from the original photo, which to be fair was taken at night. There's a few scuffs on it though!

Harumph: Just got an email back from MC - no disk adapters left, and no, they don't have any of the CAD/CAM files since it was all stored on an ancient computer that wasn't passed on to them (presumably when MC changed hands).

Maguras, methinks...

Back