The Cut Gate Killer / Three Tribes " Aftermath"

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Picture039.jpg

There were seven riders setting off from Langsett , to meet up with the North West & Midlands chaps.
Before we had left the car park the "modern" bike decided it needed a drink of brake fluid, so we had to siphon some from my car!

After all the faffing we were off, the hard pack trails around the reservoir and woods were dry, dusty and fast, we had only got about a mile or so when one rider had a big "off" again we were stopped and it was looking like we had a retirement.

After sorting the injured rider out we were finally on our way again and time for the assault on Cut Gate "path" conditions were perfect (dry,dusty an sunny)
Picture041.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture045.jpg

We start to make good time and have to stop several times to catch our breath and take in the stunning scenery, Cut Gate path has been a right of passage for riders in the peak district for as long as people have been riding bikes off road. Its a fantastic out and back ride on what has to be the best singletrack in England with view to match.

Picture055.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture053.jpg

I have ridden this trail many times and in many different weather conditions, but this is as good as it gets sunny sunshine and dry an dusty.
Every one is soon covered in a lite coat of dust and big big smiles, its a good idea to pay lots of attention to what your riding over as what you ride up on the way out you ride down on the way back and vice versa.

I could tell you all how good the flowing singletrack is and how fantastic it feels to ride BUT I'll just say that you should get out and ride it!

Picture057.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Arriving at the end of Cut Gate and the start of Howden reservoir the "modern" bike has a problem, its lost its rollermajig.
We all need a rest after all the descending so the mechanical is a welcome brake. All to soon fixed and were off again "STOP" the "modern" bike has a pinch flat, fixed in faster time than an F1 pit crew were off again along the side of the reservoirs.

Soon were at the visitors center and meeting friends old and new, as always the array of bike is fantastic but we only have time for a quick coffee and its off to the pub.

Picture083.jpg

Picture086.jpg

The next few miles can only be described as hell, the sun was at its strongest and it was up hill all the way.

Picture088.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Finally at the top there is a breeze and stunning views to cool us down.

Picture095.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Now its time to descend to the pub, its fast rocky and sooo much fun but all to soon were at the pub. There's lots of similes and a bit of blood as we sit down to lunch.

Picture101.jpg

Picture106.jpg

Nice baps (bread rolls you perverts)

Telling tails of how we tamed the trails with our god like riding skills :LOL: Lunch is over to soon and were back on our bikes heading to the photo spot were we all go our separate ways.
Farewell's and phone numbers swapped its time for the piccies.

Picture114.jpg

Picture116.jpg

We set off on the long slog along the side of the reservoirs, but at least the views are there to take your mind off whats to come.
This is were you remember the fantastic steep l o n g downhill before you rode along were you were now.

Picture122.jpg

Picture121.jpg

I want to be at home :cry:

I won't go in to all the pain & suffering that was endured to get to the top of Cut Gate but if you have ridden here you know what its like.
But once at the top things change as you remember whats to come, miles & miles of downhill singletrack.

Picture138.jpg

Picture142.jpg

Pulling on all your resurveys of strength its time for the final downhill of the day, there is every thing from peaty singletrack to rock gardens and all begging for your attention as you try to keep it rubber side down.

Picture147.jpg

Picture156.jpg

Picture159.jpg

As we gather at the gate to Langsett woods we chat about the days high lights and how much pain we'll be in tomorrow. Just a short bimble through the woods and were back at the cars, time for the drive home and a well earned beer.

Picture162.jpg

Picture165.jpg

I'd like to thank every one who turned out for this ride and for making it a success, also to say a big fat WELL DONE 28 miles in sweltering heat I take my hat off to each and every one of you :cool: :cool:

cheers kaya

Link to the rest of my pics http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx10 ... ro%20Ride/

Great days riding in the baking heat on the dust filled tracks, I worked out I drank over 7 litres of fluid during the ride. Can you believe they had ice sleet in Sheffield around the corner.
Nice seeing you all, i'll post some of my pics for you when I've pulled them from the camera.

The day got off to a interesting start, with Viking Mike having a big off, and Vern saved the day first of all in the car park bleeding the brakes of a modern bike and then taking Mike home after his crash. That was a hard ride but it was well worth it for the scenery :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• DSCF0795 [1024x768] [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0795 [1024x768] [800x600].jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,476
  • DSCF0810 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0810 [800x600].jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,476
Great photos and report.

That brings back some fond memories of Cut Gate. I first starting riding that on my Muddy Fox Courier BITD. There always seemed to be the fast section on the Langsett side that then ran into the peat bog at the top of the hill which would cover your axles!! Then the deadly decent down to Howden.

The width of the track looks like it has increased massively. that must make the riding a lot easier as it used to be like a sheep track back in the 80s where you would be catching your pedals on the banks!!

Ive always wanted to go back and ride it and think i will do now that i have seen this.

Thanks for memories!!!

Latest posts

Back