Orange Clockwork conversion to singlespeed

blackdevil

Dirt Disciple
Hi, i'm new here and in need of advice!

I have a 95 Orange Clockwork that i'd like to convert to a single speed bike to use as a city commuter. I've stripped it back and will get a respray.

The questions i have are:

Can I put 700c wheels on it and still run brakes or should i just stick with 26" wheels?

I don't have the original rigid fork (only a Rock Shox Mag21). Can anyone recommend a rigid fork for a 1inch steerer, preferably aheadset style?

Thanks
Andrew

700c wheels.... It might be possible but your probably better sticking to 26" wheels

And forks? get some Pace RC30s or RC31s, they would both suit the Orange frame very well! Another option would be some Orange F7s, but they are pretty rare in aheadset 1". If your willing to go to threaded steerer, then F7s are as cheap as chips and easy to find

I was thinking of the RC30s, always wanted them back in the day! I noticed some RC31s on ebay but the steerer width isn't listed, were they only made with a 1ich steerer?

If you're going fixed wheel you could use a disc on the front so 700c's wouldn't be a problem. However that would narrow your choice of forks down even more.

I think they came in both. I know that you can change the steerer on RC30s. I don't think the RC31s have a changeable steerer b ut someone else probably knows better than me. I have never had a set.

It will look AWFUL.

You will be unlikely to get the original brakes to work on your new, bigger rims. And even if you do, it'll look terrible.

Also, with singlespeed, you will have chain tension issues unless you have a tensioner, as there's no way to move the front wheel back.

A P7 is a nice bike, and there are lots of people here who really like them. Why not put an advert up and ask if someone will do you a swap for a road frame? I bet someone would have something nice.

chris667":1wac3exp said:
It will look AWFUL.

You will be unlikely to get the original brakes to work on your new, bigger rims. And even if you do, it'll look terrible.

Also, with singlespeed, you will have chain tension issues unless you have a tensioner, as there's no way to move the front wheel back.

A P7 is a nice bike, and there are lots of people here who really like them. Why not put an advert up and ask if someone will do you a swap for a road frame? I bet someone would have something nice.

Yeah I was wondering if it would look silly, think i'll stick with 26"ers!

I have a Clockwork rather that the P7. I was thinking about just buying a singlespeed for town but I'm still quite fond of my Clockwork and its just been sitting rusting away! So I think I'd like to get it rolling again - even if its just for commuting!

Are there any brand new rigid fork options in a 1" threadless steerer?

Back