Dave Lloyd, Reynolds 753 fillet "chaos theory"...

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
...ive mentioned before the first days i saw klein, pace, cannondale, orange etc, right back in the beginning, when it was new to us all, and how amazing it all was, the weight the styles, the engineering, the design....quality, all of them, and for me all ground breaking in there own right, and all for different reasons.

a walk around the malverns, im sure for everyone was a different experience, half the time my mouth was on the floor, my heart was missing beats all over the place, every where i looked there was sumthing new, innovative and stunning, and at 16 all out of reach.

sum of the older guys, were riding it already, or sum of it was being displayed by their importers, or in the case of british custom built steel, by the frame builders themselves......and my friends and i were in awe, of all of it.

even though the the kliens and the cannondales and later the pace, were so amazing, ....there was always sumthing that hit the spot, about having a truly custom handbuilt steel frame.....and being able to talk to the builder himself, was a real pleasure, nice guys and they new there stuff, but i was 16, and the choice was simple, buy it and forget racing, or wait, and keep racing......i waited and kept racing,(the crack was just too good)

retrobike can be a very inspiring place,...........so my quest for a 20 year old legend began.

easy you may say, and so i thought, for me it was simple, chas roberts, dave yates, dave lloyd, overburys, zinn, all stunning fillet brazed, handbuilt top of the range great british quality.

but sadly pickings are thin enough and i wanted something rare, it had to be one of the above, but those that had it, wanted to keep it, and those for sale... 10 people were chasing it..!!!!!!!........and then i found an abused wreck, for sale on ebay.

it was misdiscribed a little, as sum of it, is indeed, in pretty bad shape, but the guy was genuine, and very good about it, and did refund part of the money, with this i was happy.

but guys oh my god, what a mess, bent gear hanger, bent brake bosses, seized seatpost, seized bottom bracket, seized handlebarstem, cracked/ damaged headset, oh and i forgot to mention rust rust and more rust....

but what i had in my hands, to me was a now very rare and an original handmade reynolds 753at, fillet brazed, british built frame by the 70"s legendary roadracer/ turned mountain biker and frame builder Dave Lloyd.

here are sum pics of the shocking state it is in, and as work progresses i will post some pics.

Attachments

• 006a.JPG
    006a.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 9,012
  • 007a.JPG
    007a.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 9,012
  • 008a.JPG
    008a.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 9,012
  • 009a.JPG
    009a.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 9,012
some more pics

all the bits are chuck away seized bent broken or rusty.

Attachments

• 010a.JPG
    010a.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,001
  • 016a.JPG
    016a.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 9,001
  • 010a.JPG
    010a.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 9,001
  • 011a.JPG
    011a.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 9,001
broken

......i just cant throw it away,

Attachments

• !B04s+YQ!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEw)p!7!BOBMcTvv0rQw~~_12.jpg
    !B04s+YQ!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEw)p!7!BOBMcTvv0rQw~~_12.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9,001
  • !B04t!6!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKiwE)UPfs5w2BMcTvzv9BQ~~_14.jpg
    !B04t!6!BGk~$(KGrHqQOKiwE)UPfs5w2BMcTvzv9BQ~~_14.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 9,000
  • !B04tErQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ew8+l3FdQBMcTv8fV2g~~_12.jpg
    !B04tErQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKm8Ew8+l3FdQBMcTv8fV2g~~_12.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 9,000
mountainloz":1cgkh8bo said:
wow! good luck with that one!
will look forward to seeing it finished :D

thanks mate, frame work first i think, it really does need a lot, a shocking state, really, but i just need to get it done.

As its a Dave Lloyd it will be worth all the grief that it will bring, it will be a one off, never to be repeated bike, he didn,t make that many of them, but i'm sure he will tell you if you contact him.

From these pictures it really looks in a shocking state, but when you remove all those old bits and get the frame glass beaded (?), the you will really know what you have. It might turn out not to be too bad after all!!!
I will be very interested to see how this evolves. Good luck!!

Nice and very unusual frame. Any structural corrosion or just surface? Hope you can resote this to it's former glory, look forward to seeing this project unfold.

John":1rllza76 said:
Nice and very unusual frame. Any structural corrosion or just surface? Hope you can resote this to it's former glory, look forward to seeing this project unfold.

thanks guv, i have removed all the seized parts, dont ask, not easy and such a mess, and stressfull.

the rust on the frame is certainly just surface, the forks never had any drain holes,(not good), and will need the attention of a frame builder/as will the straightening of the rear mech, and the brake bosses on the fork, but this sadly is beyond my skills.

from memory there werent many custom builders,at this time using 753 for the majority of the tubes on mountain bikes, a lot mixed the grade of tubes used, or even mixed tubing manufacturers, the frame i will certainly want to have jigged and checked, the whole 753 on a mountain bike, was an atttraction for me back then, and still is, as you know my race bike back then was the explosif, and i was quite taken by the early dave lloyd "take" on the sloping top tube, his later models used the conventional method. .

Senri":2ummdr6j said:
From these pictures it really looks in a shocking state, but when you remove all those old bits and get the frame glass beaded (?), the you will really know what you have. It might turn out not to be too bad after all!!!
I will be very interested to see how this evolves. Good luck!!

thanks, all the old bits are now gone, thankfully, all of it binned.

been full of emotion with this one(silly i know), frames going to a builder, ive waited this long, i will wait sum more, just need to know its straight and true, ....ill keep posting as an when i know more. :?

Back