Difference between M737 & M739?????

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Is there any difference between M737 & M739 rear mechs?
M737 rear mechs were listed on 94' & 95' XT groupsets as RD-M737-GS (or RD-M737-SGS), but M739 rear mechs were listed on 96'-98' groupsets as RD-M739-GS (or RD-M739-SGS) but i can't see much difference in appearance between the two.....anyone know what the differences are? :?

I think they are all 8-speed....

It could have been a cynical marketing ploy by the big 'S' to make everyone buy the latest kit? After all they've never done that before :roll:

Seriously, I think they up-revved the entire groupset when things like the 4-bolt chainset came out which was 739 I believe. Also v-brakes were 739. So it might be that they changed the number of the RM as well to keep it all the same.

There were come differences in the rear mechs (I know as I tried to rebuild one with another). The difference I saw was in the top pivot (where the mech goes into the frame). One uses a shorter pivot bolt and shallower spring assembly.

If I remember right (and it's 10 years ago that I played with it) the M737 had the shorter pivot assembly.

The main differences between M737 and M739 were the introduction of V-brakes and a new low band version of the front mech in 1996. Those 4 arm cranksets came along a year later.

The rear mechs didn't change much at all, cosmetically or functionally. But I suppose it would make sense for Shimano to put the M739 number on mechs produced along with the newly launched innovations on the M739 groupset.
Perhaps the bushes and pivots were improved too. Difficult to tell.

Hamster has it right. The 737 has a narrow 'B' spring where the 739 has a wide 'B' spring. The difference is easy to spot when you compare both mechs.

Here, you can play spot the difference:

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/T ... 7_1994.gif

http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shimano/T ... 9_1996.gif

The top pivot bolt certainly looks shorter on the 737, so presumably at least the upper knuckle was redesigned. There are a few tiny differences in the hardware - for example a plain washer on the cable clamp of the 737, and a tabbed washer on the 739.

It's interesting that the cage and its pivot assembly isn't shown as a spare part for the 737, while it is for the 739. Is the cage of the 737 riveted in place?

Good knowledge folks :D you lot never fail to
amaze me with your in-depth knowledge.... I always know where to come if in need....
So I'm gonna run my M739 mech with an earlier M737 group.... Few will spot the difference unless up close and fewer still will care that it ain't M737 anyway:LOL:

Latest posts

Back