2006 Pipedream Sirius with Rawland Elgokse bar/stem

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
main.php

Another addition to the stable. Following a vague idea which I'd had for a while which was catalysed by the nice people at Rawland cycles sending a set of their Elgokse handlebars for review my old modern bike (if that makes sense) has been rebuild as a do-it-all singlespeed.

Logged a few miles on this recently and have to say I'm really enjoying the ride. Two firsts for me, a proper singlespeed and wide upswept bars. I'm sure many have ridden singlespeed before so I shan't comment on this. The bars I will be doing a seperate in depth review on so watch this space.

main.php

Frame: 2006 Pipedream Sirius

Fork: Fox Talas

Headset: WTB
Stem: Rawland Elgokse
Handlebar: Rawland Elgokse
Grips: ODI lock on

Brakes: Magura Louise

Chain: KMC something or other
Cranks: Deore

Pedals: Time

Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Hope / DMR
Tyres: Some old Specializeds

Saddle: Flite MAX
Seatpost: Thomson

Weight: Best not to know

PS, yes, I know the chain is wrong, now have a proper KMC ss chain complete with half link which looks much tidier.

Pickle":1astpk5j said:
Nice. I do like these frames.

Yup, not a bad frame. No thoroughbread but put together well enough with some nice bits of design and cheap enough not to be precious about it.

The bar/stem combo looks great, nicely different.

I run risers on a couple of my bikes, tipped forward a few clicks so the sweep is similar to your setup, it seems very comfy.

Looks a nice subtle machine :cool:

I really like the Rawland bars , then again I really love most of their stuff, I currently have a set of Rawland disc ready bi plane forks (440 a2c) waiting to go on the right frame. Might have to buy a Drakkar frame when funds permit :cool:

fingers":3jcy86j4 said:
The bar/stem combo looks great, nicely different.

I run risers on a couple of my bikes, tipped forward a few clicks so the sweep is similar to your setup, it seems very comfy.

Looks a nice subtle machine :cool:

For a bike mostly built with bits I had about it does look ok.

The sweep is more pronounced than the normal riser I run on my other modern ride. Feels quite natural though to the extent when I've jumped on another bike with hyperlites after riding this the hyperlites felt bent forward.

Looking forward to hearing more about those bars John, those might be just the ticket for my own Pipedream.

John":1bnh5r5s said:
[Logged a few miles on this recently and have to say I'm really enjoying the ride. Two firsts for me, a proper singlespeed and wide upswept bars.

That's not a proper singlespeed - it's got one of those sprung tensioners ;)
Sorry John, I'm just being facetious here, although as you're already using HT2 type cranks, one of those very nice Forward Components EBB conversions would be just the job :cool: .

The bars are looking pretty cool, though I suspect that they're not that light. Nice anyway - I'd be tempted by a set but I reckon that they'd be harsh with rigid forks.

Andy R":rqts3kmp said:
John":rqts3kmp said:
[Logged a few miles on this recently and have to say I'm really enjoying the ride. Two firsts for me, a proper singlespeed and wide upswept bars.

That's not a proper singlespeed - it's got one of those sprung tensioners ;)
Sorry John, I'm just being facetious here, although as you're already using HT2 type cranks, one of those very nice Forward Components EBB conversions would be just the job :cool: .

The bars are looking pretty cool, though I suspect that they're not that light. Nice anyway - I'd be tempted by a set but I reckon that they'd be harsh with rigid forks.

Ha, knew I'd get taken to school on the chain and tensioner. Have a new chain with half link on there now, looks miles better. Could perhaps do without the tensioner but I think the empty rear mech hanger looks a bit gash so left it on. Those EBBs are interesting, more than the frame is worth though!

The bars ain't light but I guess that isn't the point, you'll know steel bullhorns won't find their way onto many race bikes. They are rigid though as you'd imagine.

Back