Identify unknown DBR

sam_white

Diamond Back Fan
Hi there,

As a quick introduction, I've been reading the forums for a few weeks and now need some assistance! I never intended to become a retrobiker but time has moved on and my bikes have stayed the same over the years and now I think they can be called retro!

This is my DBR, which I picked up as a frame only around 2004 when I left uni, it had laid abandoned in the bike shed for the whole year I was parking my (retro) Univega there. I cleaned it and removed a layer of MBUK stickers to reveal a slightly corroded DBR stickered frame. It now gets used as my city bike run around.

6 years later I'm still riding it as seen in these pics:

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

The rear rack is an addition for the day as I've been carrying panniers on the Norwich 50/100 cycle ride.
I'd guess the frame is about 1995 due to the canti hanger, but I've never seen another like it. The down tube has DBR stickers both sides, there is a Diamondback head tube sticker, Diamondback stickers on the seat stays and '7005 Butted' sticker on the seat tube. No other identifying marks, and the componentry has all been fitted by myself, forks are Spinner and recovered from another Diamondback so offer no clue as to the bike's model.
Frame number is stickered and reads CYC0020439.

Can anyone offer a clue? Even positive age identification would be handy and I know there are some Diamondback experts here.

Cheers and hope you like the photos!

I'm a noob at this stuff... But it's a nice bike :D
Where abouts in Norwich are you from? If you don't mind me asking?

Its very nice apart from the mudguards, rack and slicks. :LOL:

Any details on the seatpost clamp? I like and want! :cool:

it looks a generic Taiwanese frame ,sold as various things ,coyote, falcon.
claude butler and a load of others
by no means a slight a quite nice and light frame ,but nothing exotic ,well
after 95 any way
i do think the dbr stickers were an addition tho as diamond back had their
own identity ,might be wrong tho ,still a nice frame tho

Peck, I'm north city, close to Anglia Square.
Mike, the seatpost clamp is a generic one, I had another in silver branded as Avenier. It came from a Proflex frame, I'd imagine it is a cheap far eastern manufactured clamp.

Am not too fussed if it is not a Diamondback / DBR but I'd like to find out what it was originally sold as and resticker it with the correct ones.
I noticed today that the frame number is also stickered on the head tube, but not engraved into the bottom bracket shell - does this give any of the experts a clue?
Mikee what do you reckon as to age? I thought the rear canti hanger placed it firmly around 95-96 as after this v-brakes started to become a lot more popular.

age ,i'm not sure mebee 94/96 ish for the reasons you state

frame number not give any clues ?

is there a number on the dropout ?

iv'e had a couple of frames like this but without the rack bosses on the seat
tube

looks a fine steed tho

Diamondback

Hi . Its a diamondback response . I have one exactly the same although mine has diamondback stickers not DBR.
Its actually a pretty light frame and rides really well.

Re: Diamondback

nickcordia":147rp7p7 said:
Hi . Its a diamondback response . I have one exactly the same although mine has diamondback stickers not DBR.
Its actually a pretty light frame and rides really well.
I'd agree that it looks like a response, but in 95, at least, the response had a replaceable rear mech hanger and the top tube cables were routed on the side of the top tube.

mikee":3aiupc5j said:
it looks a generic Taiwanese frame ,sold as various things ,coyote, falcon.
claude butler and a load of others
by no means a slight a quite nice and light frame ,but nothing exotic ,well
after 95 any way
i do think the dbr stickers were an addition tho as diamond back had their
own identity ,might be wrong tho ,still a nice frame tho

I think this is it. My LBS used to get them from somewhere, just had the 7005 sticker, no other ID.

Before they sold polished ones, they had black with purple or blue flicks, my mate bought one.

Back