92 Rocky Mountain Equipè - seatpost issue

magas

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
that frame should accept 27,0 seatposts - but I tried 2 posts in 27,0 - both did not fit - or the frame is for 26,8 ?

I may be smaller, though it shouldn't have got past Rocky Mountain quality control, tutu to them ;)
It could be corroded ?
Clamp at the top bent slightly ?

Any pictures ?

or poor Rocky Quality control and it really does need a smaller size.

iirc in 1993 they officially had some 26.8 diameters and you would know if it was 1993 or after from teh none wishbone stays.

Here's the '91/'92 list

Titanium 29.2 (3Al/2.5V Ti)

Altitude 27.0 (Ritchey Logic Prestige Custom Blend)
Summit 27.0 (Tange Prestige Concept)
Blizzard 27.0 (Tange Prestige Concept)
Équipe 27.0 (Tange Prestige, Quad Butted, Double Butted, Concept Blend)
Hammer 27.0 (Ritchey Logic Cro-Mo)
Fusion 27.0 (Ishiwata Cro-Mo Triple Butted)

Nimbus 27.0 (Easton #7005)
Expérience 30.4 (Aluminum #7000)
Cirrus 30.4 (Aluminum #7000)
Stratos 27.0 (Aluminum #7000)

Thunderbolt, custom 27.0 (Tange Prestige std,o/s or concept)
Tantalus, custom ??.? (Tange Ritchey Logic Super Butted)

Titanium 27.0 (3Al/2.5V Ti) 27.0

Altitude 27.0 (Tange Ultimate Prestige Superlight Blend)
Vertex 27.0 (Tange Prestige Concept)
Équipe 27.0 (Tange Prestige Ultimate Super Light, Concept)
Hammer 27.0 (Ritchey Logic Cro-Mo)
Blizzard 27.0 (Tange Prestige, Concept)
Fusion 27.0 (Ishiwata Cro-Mo Triple Butted)
Metro 27.0 (Columbus Cromor Cro-Moly)

Cirrus 30.4 (Aluminum #7000)
Expérience 30.4 (Aluminum #7000)
Stratos 27.0 (Aluminum #7000)

Tantalus/Thunderbolt ??.? (various choice of steels)

The thread I posted to with that
and a direct link to a serial your should be close to
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 230#304230

Maybe my Ti is a '92, since it takes a 27.0mm seatpost, but the cable stops on the headtube would indicate a '91.

RockiMtn":wiu809xe said:
Maybe my Ti is a '92, since it takes a 27.0mm seatpost, but the cable stops on the headtube would indicate a '91.

I think for the 90/91/92 frames they evolved throughout the year they are all merge together
That or the catalouge could be wrong.

thanks for your answers so far :)

pics. as requested

CIMG0282.jpg

previous owner told me, that he used a ZOOM 27,0 seatpost which fits the frame. I tried 3 diff. 27,0 posts (Tioga, Ritchey & a Kona). They fit, but very very tight - no need of a seatpost binder :shock:

Theres no corosion inside the seattube, but to make sure, I gave it a rub with 800 / 1000 sandpaper - but no difference. Also no sign of damage to the seattube.

At the end I will buy a 26,8 to see if it makes a difference, or should I hone the inside of the seattube to have more clearence for the 27,0 posts.
Does it harm the tube ?

Btw. what seatpost binder should I use ?

If the 27.0 goes in and you are not hammering it in to position I would use that. If you sit and ride on it does it go down ?

Binder, well anything that fits.
You can shorten the skewer if you want and fit a nut on the end. Even and Alu nut to save weight if you really wanted. It looks quite neat tucked up in the housing. If using bolt and nut then both will hide away in the seat binder on the frame.
or just your good old quick release

One thing I did on mine is to screw a Ti bolt (no need for a nut then) in to the Quick release handle giving a very sturdy setup. Of course you may need to chop it to size.
(that all probably makes no sence :LOL:)

I have that same frame (the black one in the above mentioned thread that was previously the same green) Def a 27.0 on mine, slips in with no issue and clamps snug without effort.

In the end if a 27.0 requires force then dont do it. Stick a 26.8 in and prior to clamping, see how much play there is. If if seems like a lot then you may want to consider having the tube reamed back to 27.0 but I'd take it to a shop to get an expert opinion first. (probably costs nothing to ask)

I had an issue with a seatpost tonight and a very gentle sanding of the seat tube sorted it out - was just gack in there (I hasten to add the BB is not fitted yet - and it was a cheapo steel effort - but you get the picture)

thanks again for your answers and opinions :D

I will check again if the seattube is not damaged somewhere near the braze ons and maybe reame the seattube also - the 27,0 seatposts had to slip in !

Back