*Orange Prestige*

paulwakinshaw

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I secured this earlier this week:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137694

I have some of the components to start the build such as wheels and I will stick to a period build with XT from 1993/4 as its pretty easy to come by.

I'm confused with what forks to use though. Orange F7 forks are not that easy to find and what i remember is that F7's are frame size specific. RC30's seem to be less available too. I'm not keen to use suspension forks either :?:

Also, the stem in the brochure is just a black non-branded item. Would this bike have been supplied with a Ali-Stalk? finally, ahead-stem or quill?

Lots of questions - thanks for reading :) :)

That's.... a little spooky... I used to have the same frame, bought in 93/94 from Leisure Lakes (Bury)as a "last years model" frame only, and I remember adding the orange "oranges" to the left hand stay just like in the pics.... it's not a 19" frame is it?
I sold the bike in 2003 iirc.

Anyway, I always used RC30's on my Prestige, and I would go Aheadset on it if it were me.

Certainly is a 19 inch frame fella. I was unsure what the orange marks were on the stay. It could be yours? When it arrives I will take some pics.

Ahead is my preferred option as it means I can have a Chris King head but if I go down this route I want to add an ATAC stem in purple anno finish. This could be difficult to find. Already have purple RC Sub 130 bars

I nearly bought this at the original price of £120. It will make a very nuce bike, and to be honest Prestiges are always well bought as they are quite rare now.

Look forward to following the build. :D

Any fork will do, F7, Orange Alu (as I had), PACE, original bent forks or even some Tange beasts etc... up to you and the look you want.

Ahead or threaded was around, though threaded would have been the normal. Threadless was up and coming but not 'as standard' on Orange bikes. You can still use chis king with threaded.

Stem, anything you like.
Catalogue picture spec was dripping with OEM stuff, but a lot of it would have been respecified at purchase or will have been updated within a few paper round monies as would see fit.

Ali stalk* I think would be too chunky for the frame, and the Stalk Light would have been the normal for these. (Alu Stalk being about £15 more bitd) with the 'Stalk' for the budget buyers (another £10 or so cheaper than both the others). You can check as I'm sure I placed the Stiff 1993 advert in the Archive.
Answer stems are a bit chunky for the frame, BUT that doesn't mean it would not have been put on it.

* I could be thinking of a later Ali Stalk when it went ahead ?

Think you're on the money with all you've said fluffy. ;)

Base spec would have been a Stalk or Stalk Light in black. Both quill stems and look ace imo.

stem

i have just taken an ali stalk and purple hotrods of my 93 prestige.i am never going to use them ,so they are up for grabs if you want them.the ali stalk could do with refinishing but i think it would come up great :D

Hey. :) Anthony actually posted a pic of my frame on that other thread!! :cool:

I'm building one of these at the mo, was gonna be a winter bike to chase all the whippets on these Retro Bike rides :? Now its a bit of a labour of love build.
Have a search theres a cadalogue PDF either on here or online. I've looked at it while I lost my paper copy.

Latest posts

Back