Garmins and GPS

paininthe":cxut1i3f said:
No, that's on the Garmin

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that it is "tools for the job" a phone for phoning, camera for pictures, Garmin for plotting.

I upgraded to a HTC Desire HD. It should do everything I want, and it does, but not particularly well. The camera is slow, GPS needs clear sky, I haven't tried BT hrm but at £80! my hrm and gps plotter was £105 together in one package. Always been a odd about hanging my phone on the handlebars aswell.

Hmm, sounds like you could do with a different ROM. I've done that to mine, and although a little buggy, it certainly runs a bit better/faster.

Aside from that, I totally agree about the price of the hrm, and at the moment can neither justify the expense of either that or a garmin, and yes..looked at fixing hte phone to the bike with a mount, but still too scared to try it.

birthday in 6 months time..may talk sweetly to the other half, hehe

I've found myself perusing the new edge 800 :eek: Probably more than I need though, I'll reel myself back in.

i just wanted something that would handle 7" fork travel, so a wire was out, the distance apart from sensor to handlebar ruled out a wired one
so the edge 605 was the one i went for, no calibrating between wheel sizes, works on any bike and has great upload/download capability, even creating a link to google earth for a 3d view of your ride
if you do go for a garmin, you'll be happy :)

Cheers loz, 500 is probably the front runner. Whilst I'd love the mapping stuff of the others theres only a handful of times I'd use it. The 500 can still upload post route :)

I use motion-x quite a bit and it keeps a far more accurate and detailed trace than my garmin forerunner 405.

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

When combined with something like THIS, I Cant recommend highly enough. It didnt even lose signal in heavy woodland. Tracks and other data can be wirelessly transmiited, and if youre out in the wilds on your own, it can automatically send your location and heading by email to any chosen address.

It uses 3G to display the various maps, aerial photography, terrain details etc, but if you know where you're going to be you can download maps to it in advance for nothing, so you dont have to rely on a data connection.

Theres a free trial version, but the full version is only £1.79. So its definitely worth a punt.

Follow up:

I went for the Garmin edge 500. Read a rather fanstastic review/guide HERE and had me convinced. Set up was easy and quite intuitive though I have used an old 301 in the past. Took the bike to work last night and uploaded the route afterwards, very impressed with Garmin Connect too. Again easy too use and quite useful, should make a very good motivator. Should test out off road soon enough. I'm alos going to try to pair up my Suunto HRM strap, it is ANT but not sure if that works with ANT+.

So far thumbs up :D

Back