Dunkers big bad build thread

big.eck":2e5jmz94 said:
what colour is that taz ? looks well done (apart from under the chainstay ) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I decided to go retro on the colour and get something from a defunct manufacturer.

So Rover Tahiti blue.

i knew i knew that blue :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i was looking at colours i can get my hands on today and spotted bmw techno violet :D

big.eck":q2fma36p said:
i knew i knew that blue :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i was looking at colours i can get my hands on today and spotted bmw techno violet :D

There's a BMW parks near my house that is (I think) that colour with the numberplate V10 LET. Nae class BMW drivers.

Gave the build a shakedown ride today. Good points: the tyres are not a worry, they performed admirably and much better than expected. Was also thinking the rigid option wasn't the best idea but again rather enjoyed it. The weight or lack off is fantastic, can annihilate climbs :) Bad stuff: the 180 cranks are a pisser, clipped the ground a few times and had half an off because of them, the extra leverage is there but when you need it its like your wrestling with the bike when you should be concentrating on the terrain. I also was rather fanciful with the gearing 32/15 this will go back to a regular 32/16. I reasoned that the weight reduction and the 180's would help. They never really, especially taking into account the 6lbs or so bike weight reduction never figured in a rider weight increase of double that :LOL: so new gearing and new crank choice to come. Have a pair of XTR M900's and Race face turbines lying about, will weigh them up :) The bars as ZZ mentioned could also have done with being wider, maybe a future upgrade.

All in all though very impressed, gazz asked before if the builds would be staying the same or being kept and I can see a space for this bike, it fits between the CX and a full on mtb, gives a good workout and arguably improves skills. Thumbs up from me. :D

I've test run the 9500 to work in SS mode, digs in nicely upon acceleration but has slightly annoying pedal feedback from suspension action. I think it will benefit from gears as the slacker deralier chain take up might absorb the feedback. Front forks I think have a wee bit too much travel as the front seems slack and prone to weaving so I'll change for some 50mm travel topguns I've got kicking about, see if that gives it better poise. This bikes not a weight weenie but it is pure retro class so I have to bring it :cool:

Not given up on the Emmelle though, think it'll still be a good SS rider for the Euros, just needs some weight reductions in the realm of wheels etc.

these early sus bikes all suffer from pedal feedback in the lower gears velo.
seem to suit spinning rather than honking the cranks
the only way to calm it a bit is to increase the pre-load
or get used to it

Back