1980 Raleigh Esquire

DarrenW

Retro Newbie
Hi :)

I thought I'd post up my new-to-me bike for general commuting duties when the weather improves a bit, a 1980 Raleigh Esquire.

1980 Raleigh Esquire by retromotoring, on Flickr

I was given it by a friend, and so far I'm very happy with it!

The tyres appeared to be the originals and were very cracked/perished, so it has a set of whitewall Schwalbe Delta Cruisers on it now, and I've spent a lot of time cleaning it up and polishing it.

The front hub seems to have some play in it so I'll have to sort that.

The SA 3-speed AW hub all seems to be working fine but I need a new cable for the twist-grip shifter, does anyone know where I can source one?

DSCN1797.jpg

I can't seem to find anything that looks the same. In the mean time I've got a new trigger-shifter and cable on it now.

Other than that I have a rack to fit on the back and I need to get some lights for it, but that's about it really!

I'm really looking forward to using it properly :)

That's the mutt's nuts - it is in spectacular condition. 3 speed SA and 26" wheels make me go giddy at the moment, although our lass would kill me if I brought one home.

How good a colour is metallic bronze as well? The colour of so many great things (well, approximately...) - bitter, Mk 3 Cortinas, Hawaiian Tropic, curry..

raleigh esquire

My dad just found one in a skip a month or so ago, immaculate and absolutely nothing wrong with it, even has a bell and pump.

These are solid old bikes, didn't change much over the years. In the 1970s they could be had with dyno lighting too. Ill dig out a scan when I can.

I thought I should post some more pics... I've done 4-500 miles on it now, it's so comfortable! I'm using it for work most days now the dark nights have gone, 12 miles a day, and when I've got time I get about 30 miles in at the weekends.

DSCN1973-Edit by retromotoring, on Flickr

1980 Triumph Traffic Master and 1980 Raleigh Esquire by retromotoring, on Flickr

No real problems, the crank was a bit loose and needed attention, I got that fixed for a tenner and it has been fine ever since.

I made a front lamp for it too, took a broken original lamp and fitted/soldered/modified an LED camping lamp and battery pack to fit inside. Works well :)

168467_10150409004705161_534880160_17020049_456303_n.jpg

I love it :D

Love those images, they are very 70s in their look.

The lamp is somewhat different.

I have a few of these which I can use with a special insert to take the old HP11 batteries.

This is my first post and I guess I'm digging up an old thread but here goes anyway.

I wanted an old jollopy for riding to the pub - something I can leave outside without worrying about it too much (my other bike being a Cannondale Classic road tourer) - so recently picked up a Raleigh Equire. She needed some TLC and a little research on the model soon lead me to this forum, so I decided to join up.

Anyway, here's my "Pub-Master Deluxe" after I'd just finished getting her sorted and about to go for an initial trial run.

20141107_1108341_zps45049d30.jpg

I have to say, I'm quite impressed how spritely this Ole Girl rolls along and I'm becoming quite attached to her.

I have a 1978 Triumph Trafficmaster that my dad gave me as he didn't use it anymore, at 85 he decided he'd pass it on to me. It's just such a great bike to ride I agree with Captain Bb its very easy to get attached to it ;)

Back