Hambleton Hills Circular- Sat 13th aftermath

I love adventures with Si, The valley of death is going to be a hard act to follow and I thought lost in the under growth at Thrunton was fun. Another great day out, Good trails, Good tails and more new friends.
see ya all on the next one ;)

kaya":182i0j3v said:
I love adventures with Si, The valley of death is going to be a hard act to follow.......

So you want more Rough Stuff eh??

Better bring the climbing ropes, crampons and a chainsaw next time then Vern :LOL:

saltyman":34qnmdtj said:
nice pics mate, any chance you can e-mail me any with me and my bike in please?
Given the size if the originals, your best bet is to download them from Flickr ;)

Dr S":30l813ui said:
kaya":30l813ui said:
I love adventures with Si, The valley of death is going to be a hard act to follow.......

So you want more Rough Stuff eh??

Better bring the climbing ropes, crampons and a chainsaw next time then Vern :LOL:

I haven't any crampons but I do have ropes and a chainsaw ;)

Si if it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger :shock: :LOL:

Thread exhumation!

I looked at this excellant thread and the lovely photos, then looked on Google Maps, and thought "D'you know, its not too massive. Even me in my hugely unfit state could maybe manage that."

Then today, as it was sunny I rode my newly serviced bike round our local estate, all of 500 yds, on the flat, ...and I was absolutely knackered.

It is a nice route, one you could do in 3 hours in summer. It might make a good nightride later this year. I will work on a detour around the green valley of death though!

I have that picture as my desktop at the moment. It reminds me of so many times when I ended up having to fight through bushes and undergrowth following a non-existant trail.

I should try and get some cardio-vascular use back. In my mind I can still ride these trails but on the bike I now feel wobbly and get out of breath far too quickly. I remember back in the 90's visiting my in-laws in Ingleby Arncliffe, I used to road ride out to Stokesley and Kildale then up to Bloworth and back across the tops to the TV repeater above Ingleby Arncliffe.

Supratada":3tpfeysn said:
I have that picture as my desktop at the moment. It reminds me of so many times when I ended up having to fight through bushes and undergrowth following a non-existant trail.

I should try and get some cardio-vascular use back. In my mind I can still ride these trails but on the bike I now feel wobbly and get out of breath far too quickly. I remember back in the 90's visiting my in-laws in Ingleby Arncliffe, I used to road ride out to Stokesley and Kildale then up to Bloworth and back across the tops to the TV repeater above Ingleby Arncliffe.

I love the moors, my favourite riding spot. Don't worry about being wobbly and out of breath- you will fit in very well, besides you can always catch up whilst i have a fag should you fall behind. :LOL:

Back in the day, all routes were like this. There were no guide books or Internet so you just bought a map, sat in the pub the night before and plotted a route. Sometimes they were great, sometimes they were rubbish. Now when you look in guides and on the Internet and find sections that you rode back in 1986 it gives you a warm glow inside- the thought that you might have been the first person to ride trails that have now become legendary.
I remember one particular adventure in around 88 when we took to a cracking bit of singletrack near Lastingham. It soon petered out into nothing and we ended up beside a stream in a deep ravine. After carrying our bikes through shoulder height bracken for a good half hour we came across two ropes strung over the water 20ft below. We had to inch our way across with bikes laden with panniers and a weekends worth of camping gear whilst we all threw stones, rocks and clods of earth at each other. :LOL:
Happy days indeed.

so where are you Supratada? Will we be seeing you at any of our rides this year?

I'm in Northallerton, but I doubt I'd be able to ride. I mean I am seriously unfit, out of breath climbing stairs unfit.

I did used to do that, pick out likely routes. In the south, I once spotted what looked like a decent twisty downhill track in a small woods just west of where the M25 breaches the North Downs escarpment. I tried it one cold winter's afternoon, entering the woods required a quick hop over what many would describe as a barb wire fence indicating some sort of land ownership boundary, but such things did not worry a free-thinking radical like I was back then.

The downhill was less thrilling than I had hoped for but soon the land opened out in soft rolling greenery, almost Capability Brown-like in its appearance. As I crested a small rise there in front was a massive country residence, Rennaisance style, and looking very much like I was tresapssing at this point. I sidetracked it and exited the grounds through the stables, pretty damn sharpish.

Turned out it was Chevening House and the offical residence of the Foreign Secretary. I can confirm that security was quite slack.

Edit: Funnily enough, Hague lives there now, maybe I should complete the circle and leave some tyre tracks in his back garden up here.

Back