Dunkers big bad build thread

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I weighed my weenie bike today - about 22lb but as it was more a price weenie than a weight weenie I'm happy.

Light parts include the mongoose iboc frame/fork (£2, one size too small to save extra grams) and fred salmon bars. Everything else is middleweight except the front wheel (massive syncros rim, 99p), seatpost and saddle (push/spesh), which are heavy by any standard.

Could easy get it under 20lb but as the build cost was under £40 I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

Here it is - think I may have oversold it a bit. I did warn you it wasn't much a looker! I'll also need to get a better non-cameraphone pic.

DSC00070.jpg

I haven't done any work to make this any lighter but the frame is a good start. Wheels are fairly heavy but the semi-slick tyres don't weigh that much. Other stuff is a mix of parts-bin and bikestation bargains. It's a 1x7 with a deore thumbie and a modernish looking tiagra roadie mech.

If I do try and loose some weight from it I could ditch the second chainring I have on it (put one on for road, one for off-road but they're pretty close so one is largely redundant), a decent saddle. seatpost and a less massive front wheel would also be a big help. Suppose I could ditch a couple of grams by losing the front wheel reflector but the kellogs one on the rear is staying!

its bloody lethal out there today
sheet ice ,took the weenie out for a wee post tweak ride ,glad its light
ended up carrying it ,was fine on the road tho , met 2 blokes on generalizeds ,you know how it goes ,a wee target then pass them and away ,the gearing feels just right 24/13
need to get some of those light inner tubes and that'll do it ,tho the front wheels got a bit of a flat in the rim so might swap that out ,need to see
if its gonna be a long term problem ,and if there's a lighter one in the shed

getting there with mine, might get these inner tubes to, seem to be all the rage.

Any idea if the non- kevlar mythos xc 1.95 tires will be significantly heavier than the bikeman ones (amberwall kevlar ones), can't be arsed changing them but will if you think they are lighter....

looking good rumble- you could save a bit with a flite type saddle non?

Back