Ti brake bosses

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Can any one tell about the cro-mo bosses? As i'd like to replace them with ti bosses. But the ti on the left wont fit :(

Thanks

Is the OD of the threaded section the same and is the pitch on both the same? (looks like it, at 1.25mm).

They both look the same size but it looks like a different thread on the Ti one, and a longer threaded section. Not sure what the thread could be as they are both metric.

the thread on the ti is wider and wont screw in all the way. A bit of standardization wouldn't be a bad idea :roll:

Tazio":2uog7qoi said:
They both look the same size but it looks like a different thread on the Ti one, and a longer threaded section. Not sure what the thread could be as they are both metric.

I presume that they are both probably M10x1.25, but how do you know that they're both metric - the steel one could be 3/8" x 20TPI (unlikely, I know).

Thirty seconds with a micrometer and a thread gauge would answer that, of course.
What are the steel posts from, as a matter of interest?

This is the size of ti ones.

The cro mo ones came with my ti forks that i have just got from China. Knew i should have asked for ti bosses as well :roll:

In that case, what I would suggest is that you run an M10x1.25 tap down the bosses on the fork legs - it seems that for some reason they (and the brake posts) must be slightly undersize. As the pitch looks to be the same however then re-tapping should do the trick.

It's a standard (and common) metric size and any engineering company or car repair place would only take 10 minutes to do it. If you get stuck I've got M10 taps and a wrench that I could lend you, so you could do the job yourself.

Andy R":fa97kci2 said:
In that case, what I would suggest is that you run an M10x1.25 tap down the bosses on the fork legs - it seems that for some reason they (and the brake posts) must be slightly undersize. As the pitch looks to be the same however then re-tapping should do the trick.

It's a standard (and common) metric size and any engineering company or car repair place would only take 10 minutes to do it. If you get stuck I've got M10 taps and a wrench that I could lend you, so you could do the job yourself.

Thanks. A mate has the tools to do the job. Letting me loose on such things is a very bad idea. It would be RIP ti forks :oops: :LOL:

It looks to me from a quick count that there are 5 threads on the Ti for 6 threads on the Steel.

Different threads unfortunately.

Welcome to china ;)

have had some things from there (bought over here, scientific stuff) that use a 5/32'' BSW thread and not actually one compatible available in USC size. Turns out it the Mechano size.. Guess that what they had handy at the time :roll:

Just put an old seatpost on the end of your spanner and force them in tintin.........go on......I know you want too :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back