2011 Trek Fuel EX9 project

Yeah great photos.

So a tapered headtube/steerer - any noticeable difference? Is it really any stiffer?

Thanks chaps. :D

coomber":27rwvua1 said:
So a tapered headtube/steerer - any noticeable difference? Is it really any stiffer?

The forks I bought don't have the steerer. Trek supplied an FSA headset and a reducer. The reducer is effectively a flat plate with a 1 1/8 hole in the center. I haven't noticed any adverse effects caused by the reducer, or a reduction in stiffness.

While building this bike I was worried about how it would tackle the climbs, it's a lot heavier than my old Trek. I'm pleased to say that its weight just hasn't been an issue, I've noticed no difference in performance. It seems only my fitness is the weakest link!! ;)

That's a belter that is fella.

Wish I could tear myself away from lightweight hardtails as I'd love a full susser like that (it's not like I haven't tried it, I just can't get my head around the slight weight increase).

Anyway, how on earth did you manage to get Trek to replace a 2001 for a 2011 frame, or do I not want to hear the answer :shock: ?

Dave.

daveaasmith":56hi3net said:
Wish I could tear myself away from lightweight hardtails as I'd love a full susser like that (it's not like I haven't tried it, I just can't get my head around the slight weight increase).

Anyway, how on earth did you manage to get Trek to replace a 2001 for a 2011 frame, or do I not want to hear the answer :shock: ?

Hi Dave, a lightweight hardtail is what I'm hoping to put together next spring so I've got the best of both worlds.

With regards to Trek, I simply sent them an email explaining what had happened and asking for advice. I'd read reports of this frame failing in the same place and secretly hoped they may offer to fix it for free. They wrote back stating that the frame had a life time warranty, and as it was long out of production they would offer me the modern equivalent, the Top Fuel 9. But they very kindly allowed me to have the EX9 instead as I wanted more travel on my next full susser. This was of course great news, but also a PITA because I had to buy all new components to fit it! ;)

New rotors arrived from Superstar yesterday, look the biz, but with less contact area they seem to perform worse than the standard Avids. Will give them a thrashing this weekend and see how they perform with a bit of wear. I also splashed out on Ti bolts, not because they weigh less (on these wheels it makes no difference), but they look better than black. I wasn't impressed with the quality though, a couple of bolt head teeth (?) broke when I was tightening them up!

nick_ex9_21.jpg

I had the old Bonty seatpost left over from my last Trek, it was a very worn black and so I stripped it down and polished it up. I'm just not sure if it looks right with the black stem and spacers?

nick_ex9_22.jpg

I also bought some replacement bolts for the brake levers, is this taking colour coordination too far?

nick_ex9_20.jpg

Rotors look good and liking the colourific bolts too. Nice job.

How wide is the Bottom Bracket on that beast?

Sorry old chap, missed your post. I'll check tomorrow and get back you...although most likely sorted?

Back