98+ botm?

DR S Si my main man, stop getting ye nickers in a twist, yep of course this is Retro bikes but this part of the forum page is for newer than retro topics, and if people did not use it then it wouldnt be here, i hate all these silly forums about dirt jumping and crap like that, not my thing, but please chill this section is not for chat about RETRO its more modern topics. So when someone mentions modern builds and ideas to make the 1998 onward section better or should i say a little fun then no need to bite peoples heads off :LOL: :LOL:

I'm well chilled squire, (just firing up another fat one) and i don't see anything in my previous post that suggests i'm biting anyones head off. I'm just curious as to why someone who professes to not actually liking old bikes spends so much time here.

I'm also very aware that this section is for discussing newer bikes, which, in case you missed it first time, i admit to liking and owning myself.

Chill bro ;)

Dr S":1ap3vxdf said:
jamabikes":1ap3vxdf said:
i personally dont have any interest in looking at fut chance and mountain gout bikes as they have no relevance to my riding past. the way i get round this is to not look at em.

and wasn't the point of the segregation because some people slammed people from entering modern bikes in the first place?

So why, pray tell do you visit Retrobike? I mean, there is a clue in the name... retro bike Its a place primarily for old bikes.
If old Fats and Goats aren't your thing you might be better off looking at Singletrackdowhilljumpworld.com.uk instead. They might be interested in doing some kind of 'modern thing of the month' for you.

As for people getting 'slammed', well entering a modern bike in a competition for vintage bikes?? Pretty obvious really that is was frowned upon, but slammed is a bit harsh.

Personally i like modern bikes, have a few nice ones myself, but i'm not going to get my kecks into a twist over a post 98 BoTM contest.

Si, off to look at a Goat.

the fancy pantsy american boutique stuff just didnt(doesn't) float my boat. i was a kona/marin/saracen kind of guy. my mantra was if i would be too scared to ride it, out of fear of damaging it, then it wasnt for me.

i am a bit baffled as to why two inches on a forum index causes so many harsh feelings.

in reply to kaiser, i am wary of asking john about it as i know he has enough on his plate without setting up another comp, that possibly no one even wants.

There are no harsh feelings, just a few guys blowing everything out of proportion as usual thinking that us old biddies are ganging up on the kids and their shiny new bikes.
New bikes are fine, but the bottom line regarding this topic is that the majority are boring to look at, the majority here don't care about them and last time we had a 'modern' BoTM no-one took the slightest bit of interest.

For the third time,, nothing against new stuff, just not enough interest here to be worth doing another boring BoTM contest that just makes work for the mods.

Dr S":2an5exfa said:
There are no harsh feelings, just a few guys blowing everything out of proportion as usual thinking that us old biddies are ganging up on the kids and their shiny new bikes.
New bikes are fine, but the bottom line regarding this topic is that the majority are boring to look at, the majority here don't care about them and last time we had a 'modern' BoTM no-one took the slightest bit of interest.

For the third time,, nothing against new stuff, just not enough interest here to be worth doing another boring BoTM contest that just makes work for the mods.
I must admit i agree with most of that statement Si, alot of bikes are boring and the same and way too many of the typical middle aged Specialized crap,
I dont think there was any harm in mentioning the 98 onwards BOTM, as th eperson who 1st mentioned it may not of known 1 had previously been set up and failed. If 1 was set up i agree that i dont think it would take off and yes it would be probably be very boring for the reasons stated in your 1st comment on this topic

you just have t have a look at the 98+bikes list. not a single boring bike on the first page.

there seems to be a lot of very nice high end stuff and no out let for people to see whos best (actually thinking about it the whole idea of a contest to decide which bike looks nicest is kind of irrelevant...hmmmm)

so my own answer to my own question is, no there propbably shouldn't be a contest :roll: :D

I hadn't realised that by building a post98 bike I'd effectively turned myself into a Retro-leper.
The reason for building a '99 bike was to have a bike I can take out in the current grotty weather and preserve the '91 bike.
And do you know what - I spent 4.5 hours out on my '99 bike today - in the rain and mud.
At least my leper bike gets ridden - and isn't that what this cycling lark is all about.
Having looked at this months BOTM - lovely shiny bikes that have never been offroad - comments like "took it off the wall" and sparkling white tyres.

Currently a retro-leper and quite happy to be so!

Back