Here we go again

I like Brant. Think that the UK cycling scene would be poorer without him. Any fule kno that you ain't gonna get to be a millionaire flogging bikes in Britain. As an entrepenuer, just glad that he's chosen a field I'm interested in rather than cars or whatever. :D

Dr S":18j9nhse said:
I've spoken to Geoff Apps and he has confirmed that he is working with Brant and designing this frame. This puts a different light on things. Provided that they make a good job of building it and Geoff gets the credit and hopefully a big bag of royalties then all is cool and groovy. His bikes really deserve to get some success after all these years.
Ha ha! An ironic twist which means that if it doesn't meet your specific criteria...

"But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone."

...then I trust you'll give Geoff Apps the same treatment as you give Brant. Or if it does meet your criteria then I trust you'll praise both Geoff AND Brant for doing a good job. But I wouldn't be surprised if you sit on the fence so you don't have to make that decision.

Looking forward to seeing the new Highpath.

Hi folks,

I am afraid to disappoint those people who want a Highpath. The Highpath was a highly engineered hand made bike built to the requirements of its owner. Even at 1980's prices they cost £2000 and took a long time to build. They were killed off by inexpensive highly engineered bikes from the far east. I am also afraid to disappoint those who want a reproduction Cleland or Highpath. Geoff and I did consider the retro option, and though we believe that such a bike would find a market, we are more interested in creating an alternative to the mountain bike than a retro-styled fashion statement.

The new bike is a Cleland. A practical and functional machine exactly as Geoff intended with his 1970's and 80's bikes. Well engineered but built in the far east in order to reduce the costs. The only link to Highpath is that we intend, if feasible it will have some highly engineered and innovative components not found on other bikes.

I must sign off now and go and do some preparation for tomorrows 28th annual Cleland reunion ride at Wendover.

I will leave you with this link to the Cleland Website. At the bottom of the page are some video links of Geoff riding a prototype bike.

http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/

Being newish I have to admit this is the first time I've heard if the chap

It seems he has been fortunate in earning a living in doing something he loves... Jammy git.. But fair play to him

Hype... You mean he's the only one who does it????....se Harry Potters latest... Toilet film cleary the poor part a to an expected brilliant part b... Didn't stop me watching it though

I've never met a successful anyone who gets on with everyone... I am somewhat jealous of his lucky career compared to my everyday pants job.

Would I turn down a free bike of his?? Do I look like my iq is my age? I'd take one tomorrow.....especially if he built a speed touring mountain bike

He makes bikes, you either buy them or you don't.. It really is that simple

Just read all this, must be 20 odd years since I last saw Brant, if he is still making a living out of bikes then silly hats off to him.

Watching the video, am I the only one who thinks....

1) the front wheel is twitchy as hell..

2) the bike is pig ugly

3) looks like it weighs more than the titanic.

4) where is the clunker cool in this?

:roll:

Anyway good luck in selling these might sell a few with shopping baskets attached.

true the bike looks like some one has got a dutch bike and sent it to pimp my ride and come out with a bike that looks like a quasimodo but...

I think we are missing the point..there is after all only so much you physically can do with a two wheeled bicycle what they are trying is something many of us don't do...try

look at whytes prst-1..most agree there are far better, more rideable and cheaper bikes...but as odd as the prst-1 looks..I would have one in my house everyday of the week

we are in the uk very good at tearing people and things down but rarely do we like others trying what we cannot do or be bothered to do.

niche bike companies will only survive with people undertsanding they are niche and whilst the bike mentioned would not be on my must buy list...I admire they are making a living out of thier passion and are still trying to push boundaries

passiflora":3l50807k said:
Watching the video, am I the only one who thinks....

2) the bike is pig ugly

3) looks like it weighs more than the titanic.

:roll:

Anyway good luck in selling these might sell a few with shopping baskets attached.

No need to hold back, say what you really think :twisted:

No seriously, any criticism, negative or positive is appreciated as we want these bikes to sell.

The steering geometry is little different to most modern XC bikes but
there are rocks on the bottom of that stream.

2) the bike is pig ugly
What do other people think? The reaction of people who see it in the flesh is generally positive.

3) looks like it weighs more than the titanic. I believe that the production bikes should be sub 30lbs. Would any one here pay the best part of £1000 for a bike that weighed more than £30lbs?

Good Question. Would this bike get on the cool wall? I think the way it handles mud is pretty cool

:twisted:

Visually it does look like a dutch bike

and perhaps thats the only thing I can see that would put me off.

I don't think that's a retro bike uk forum issue only though

Line the bike up with several other bikes at the same cost and for the same purpose and I feel the looks would not see it as 1st, 2nd. 3rd etc

Which is a shame because from my motorcycling experience long distances are covered better when the rider is more relaxed..from a bicycles point of view I doubt many will ride the bike long enough to gain the positives of the more upright style the cleland has.

In the words of my father before my 1st sexual experience...ugly birds may ride well but never been seen out in public with an ugly bird

Shallow I know but a shallow world is what we live in....I suppose the only way to push the positives and it's abilities over the looks is to be more pro-active and getting the bike out there more

It depends on your sales targets and cost per bike..the days of the spend big and pay a bit each month later appear to be almost over.

And that is the problem I think you may face..the looks..no matter how good it may ride

I do feel you may struggle in Britian with this but..having spent 18 months in the states..I think your market may just be more successful over there where they are less reserved

ooo slight add on after reading more on the bike..had you ever thought of belt drive to reduce weight, increase reliability over those surfaces and would add to the unique style?

Back