Here we go again

If people get upset by those remarks then they really have some issues they need to deal with.

I'm starting to think Dr S is actually paid by these people to spread virals.

jonnyboy666":24cs6zzn said:
i don't think him saying that would really upset anybody. it hasn't upset me!

but also how many potential buyers would check here for our collective opinion and let it influence them not to buy one of his bikes?

:)

nobody cares about our collective opinion - but poor marketing pissing off a bunch of wheezing cash rich middle aged man-boys.

LGF":10xqn3d1 said:
But upsetting a potential customer base is not good form, surely?

Not a good start alienating your core market is it. That said, he did not slag us off. i don't agree that there isn't love for him as a person, I've said it before, i've nothing against the guy, he seems like a decent bloke, works hard and has made a good career out of something he obviously loves. I'd happily buy him a pint (or a proper hat).
i just can't stand the hype, how people blindly convince themselves that his bikes are great. They are what they are, cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong there if you appreciate thats what they are. But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone.

However, he says he had nothing to do with the Fat Chancer, but in the original On One Yo Eddy thread from last summer he wrote..

Shedfire":10xqn3d1 said:
From email's I can see I was looking at the Fat Chancer "idea" when I was at on-one, around 2006,

I little bit of a over reaction I think. He did not say that he did not like simply that some of us do not like him. which from this thread appear to true.

I have no problem with the guy. I have owned bot oneone and ragley bike. they are perfectly ridable and well priced. As long as people do not mistake low cost bike for handmade craftmanship what's the problem? If he builds a copy of a highpath and it becomes popular that only raises the prices of the real thing and that good for everyone.

And i can also say from someone how has tried to enter the bike market in the 80's, 90s and 00's (bar ends, alloy frames and shock shims/seals). i can tell you it is hard enough as it is.

Unless i have missed another thread no harm has been done hear unless he has broken some design copyright on the highpath by using its name.

Peace, love, bikes

Dr S":1u6r8ot8 said:
LGF":1u6r8ot8 said:
But upsetting a potential customer base is not good form, surely?

Not a good start alienating your core market is it. That said, he did not slag us off. i don't agree that there isn't love for him as a person, I've said it before, i've nothing against the guy, he seems like a decent bloke, works hard and has made a good career out of something he obviously loves. I'd happily buy him a pint (or a proper hat).
i just can't stand the hype, how people blindly convince themselves that his bikes are great. They are what they are, cheap and cheerful. Nothing wrong there if you appreciate thats what they are. But when you start cashing in on the current Retro Cool* without respecting the quality and craftsmanship of those original designs to make a fast buck then it gets a little close to the bone.

However, he says he had nothing to do with the Fat Chancer, but in the original On One Yo Eddy thread from last summer he wrote..

Shedfire":1u6r8ot8 said:
From email's I can see I was looking at the Fat Chancer "idea" when I was at on-one, around 2006,

Its the hype thing, yes, seemingly glossing over previous decades of cycling as if it never existed.

I've spoken to Geoff Apps and he has confirmed that he is working with Brant and designing this frame. This puts a different light on things. Provided that they make a good job of building it and Geoff gets the credit and hopefully a big bag of royalties then all is cool and groovy. His bikes really deserve to get some success after all these years.

Si

legrandefromage":1n4hmmha said:
Its the hype thing, yes, seemingly glossing over previous decades of cycling as if it never existed.

fair cop, i not defending him. i am as much a fan of proper craftmanship as anyone.

Back