Bad Backs and Bikes ?

Me.. 17 And a back that kills.. pretty much always rode HT... No plans too change that..

(I had back issues as a kid, Hurts all the time)

I find, depending how and what you ride, and if it's set up, you can be comfy all day long on a super stiff HT like a Zaskar. ;)

Neil":1tcadqgh said:
If I was to speculate, most people who have back issues, it tends to be soft tissue / muscle.

Agreed. IMHO the problem is simply spending too long in a kyphotic position on yer bike (ie. hunched over the bars) and stretching out all the soft tissue, the muscles and ligaments. You're also more likely to damage the intervertebral discs than the vertebrae themselves, and that tends to be sudden onset and quite acute pain. I'm also not really aware of any evidence linking dehydration to lower back pain. Certainly the National Institute of Clinical Excellence guidelines for the treatment of LBP don't make any mention of dehydration.

I think the difference between full sussers and hardtails is that full sussers are set up much more like a 'sit up and beg', certainly compared to low, fast and racey hardtails. So, it's all about posture really. Gold star for Mikeekim89 :D

Personally, I ride rigid and my back's fine!!!

If Cycling is your only exercise, and you are facing issues with your back you could also consider mixing it up a bit.

I mainly ride full susser now, although in London I am hard at both ends. The terrain I generally ride on dictates what style I ride, I use a beater bike to go to the store.

I would advise anyone with serious back issues to complement their cycling with other exercise. Kayaking, whilst not so practical fora ll, is amazingly good for muscular back issues. Swimming, Yoga, Pilates, walking are all great.

When I fist damaged my back when I was 13 I could hardly walk for six months, the things that saved me were cycling and kayaking.

The only time I have had issues since have been after periods of enforced sedentary lifestyle through other injuries.

The sit up and beg posture is certainly more relaxing when getting back on a bike after time away.

But the more your weight is at the rear, even standing, the less you can get air over those holes.

Depending on the design, rear suspension can snap into every depression.

Good riding technique on moderate surfaces can actually mean you feel these things even less on a light hardtail, as long as you are anticipating things, in terms of your back.

I am rarely in the saddle on a hardtail over anything remotely rough.

Another thing with full sussers is that people tend to run their saddles lower than ideal, and this makes it more of a chore moving off and on it.

:)

How much is down to position? I ride most types and it doesn't cause me any particular problems. Being too upright can be as problematic as too stretched out.
Can I point out that time of day and alcohol mean that I haven't read any of the previous posts!

I also agree about the "mixing it up" tip from the earlier post. Running and swimming are both good and exercises to increase core strength.

I also have a wobble board bought for a few pounds from TKMax ( who sometimes have some surprising bargains in sports equipment) A few minutes balancing per day helps back problems - and it's always a talking point when we have visitors - few can resist a go!

I had a proper messed up back a few months back following a rather embarrasssing testicle incident in tesco's, with the injury at its worst it was only my time out on the bike which made me totally free of pain, so i rode a lots.Dr encouraged it also.
As it healed a bit i did find that post ride i would have some lower back pain,

what was also pointed out to me is that cycling shortens the tendons and builds thigh muscle,which pulls down on the lumbar region, they put it in much better fancy smancy medical speak but you get my point, the fact was brought home to me also when they asked me to touch my toes, and while although relatively fit i was an inch( perhaps 2) away from toes because of overtight things in backs of legs.

I also find with a fully loaded pack and loose straps my back gets a bit jippy, if you have linked back pain with cycling post ride, check your bike set up

I put my back out some time around 2003 . I still ride rigid . I keep my lower back muscles ( as well as others ) in check with yoga . I can touch the floor with my palm !

I also rarely sit on a bike unless its very smooth and I just need to get the pedals in .

Back