Setting up Tektro 'Power Hanger'

If you like . . .

This is how it looked before I added the power hanger.. ..

tempbrake.jpg

Ian ...all you have to do is adjust the side that barely moves so that the spring is far tighter than the other side ;)

You can the reduce the cable tension on the other side to balance it out nicely,you can even use the upper spring hole if you like..and if you have them :cool:

The left side is tighter than a nuns . . . .

I've got it sort of working but it's a bit crap, I gotta say :?

If I slacken off the right side, there's too much loose cable and it's a very fine line between tight and slack. . if you get me. . .

It's sort of ok for now (not that I'm riding the thing :roll: ) but I'm looking for a better solution....

Still not got it right.. despite a few more hours tinkering.. getting right on my paps.

Currently the lever pulls all the way to the bars before the pads have gripped the rim tight enough to have any effect whatsoever...

Wondering about getting rid of the XC Pro canti's now and going for frogglegs or similar.

I've got two of those on different bikes so I have a bit of experience in setting them up. I found they work best when you have independently adjutable spring tension on each canti arm, do XC pro have this?

Yes . . the tension is independently adjustable for each arm..

Does one need to be tighter than t'other?

I've messed with numerous combinations of slack/tight and it's getting frustrating.

Yes, the tension is usually higher on the side with the fixed cable, as this has to flex the outer cable running to the other arm in order to pull away from the rim. The pads are going to be closer to the rim than on a normal brake (as leverage is increased), so the wheel needs to be true - I've also got a brake booster on one to reduce flex and firm up the brake feel.
They are tricky to setup at first but get easy with practice. Also, I've found they're best with normal brake levers, no SLR or dia-compe power cams as that just results in spongy feeling brakes.

DBR thing in my sig is running a Tekro combination one at the front, brake works really well. Diacompe SS5 levers, Fred Salmon arms with Kool stop pads. It is as good as a V brake.

Running XC Pro levers with them.. which (I think) are just regular, but aesthetically pleasing, levers...

So.. left side has tighter cable and higher tension.. pads (on both sides? ) closer to rim than normal..

With the brake arm tension.. does one have to be high and the other higher?
Or is the right a normal tension with the left a bit more?

The toher thing I've struggled with is the steep angle of the cable compared to the arm...
Iirc the cable is supposed to be about 90degrees from the arm, at the moment they are more like 110degrees.. is this angle still as important?

Back