Raleigh record sprint

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
It my first retro bike any only my second bike since I was about 14, the other one a full blooded MTB hardtail. The Raleigh was given to me and its in amazing condition apart the the rear hub. I want to get it up and running a cheep as poss, so I will service the hubs, brakes, BB etc myself ( that should be fun) new cables and tyres ( not sure what I need here)its the rear hub thats sound a bit daunting, its a Helicomatic thing? It all works very well and its still very smooth apart from its missing the small sprocket, any idear where to get one of the these? I've put up a wanted add up.

any any help or infomation on this bike, at all would be very welcome.

Cheers Brian.

I'd be really surprised if it had helicomatic hubs.

When you say it's missing a cog, what do you mean exactly? Any chance of a picture?

My Record Sprints (I had two, circa 1984) both had Helicomatic hubs - and Weinmann Concave rims.

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... l84_06.jpg

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... l84_09.jpg

I don't know where to find Helicomatic parts these days, except for eBay and cycle jumbles, of course. The bearings on the ones I used were undersized, and they ate a set of cones every six months or so. It wasn't easy to find replacements even in the early nineties.

I put a lot of miles on them, but with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't recommend putting much effort into one these days. There are much nicer bikes around that justify the trouble. I broke just about everything that could be broken on mine, including both frames.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5825477/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5825488/

So here are some picture of the hub and cassette. Looking at the cassette it looks to me as if it’s missing the small sprocket, due the amount of threat showing; please put me right if I’m wrong.

Only going to be using the bike to get me to the local shops, so not going to be putting massive miles on it and I’m only really giving it a full service so not spending to much on it.

The rims say they are 700c, any tyre recommendations for general use?

Cheers all.

Brian.

one-eyed_jim":1quui475 said:
My Record Sprints (I had two, circa 1984) both had Helicomatic hubs - and Weinmann Concave rims.

I put a lot of miles on them, but with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't recommend putting much effort into one these days. There are much nicer bikes around that justify the trouble. I broke just about everything that could be broken on mine, including both frames.

Not a Record Sprint, but I used to have a secondhand Raleigh Quasar of similar vintage, which had the same Weinmann/Helicomatic wheel combo. The Record Sprint had a very similar spec except for external brake cables ("aero" levers were a new thing at the time it was made), Sachs Rival friction derailleur in later years at least (the Quasar had a Suntour AR mech) and so much gold anodising that it was the bike world's answer to Ron Atkinson ;). The "aerospace contour" Reynolds 501 frames apparently had a bit of a reputation for dodgy quality, but other than the top tube cable guides dislodging mine put in many, many miles without dropping to bits.

Brian - as for the tyres, cheap-ish 700c x 23s should see you OK for general pootling around. Seem to be some decent internet offers on pairs of Michelin Speediums out there at present.

David

Thanks for the tyre tip, two of those Michelin Speediums can be had for only £10 on line. OK they are grey but they are OK to get me rolling.

Could I run the cassette only using the 5 sprockets that are on, as they are?

Thanks for all your help as I said I'm very new to this old bike restoration/service stuff.

cheers Brian.

MADB":zevdd626 said:
Could I run the cassette only using the 5 sprockets that are on, as they are?
As far as I recall, the four largest sprockets were splined, and the smaller ones were threaded. That means you can run the five sprockets you have, as long as your rear derailleur stops can be set to stop you shifting off the end of the block.

Back