Postal Strikes

Do you support the Postie?

• Hell yes, they do a thankless task for pittance!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no, i have to go to work so why don't they?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nae sympathy from me................

Fechin' Parcelforce is worse................

My remedy involves washing line and lampposts.

yes how can any company delivering letters at £0.30 can make a profit ?

Royal Mail should be a public service , they should not loose money but they should not worry about making profits .
they are important to some people . they keep some village shops from closing down . I hate supermarkets , and love local shops .
a village with a post office is a village alive , take away the post office , and all other shops will leave .

I am sorry but I must say that as a good Marxist, and a former member of a trade union (though not anymore) I feel that the whole concept of strike action is being misused in the modern world.

If any employee has a genuine greviance there are procedures in place to deal with this. If you are so unsatisfied in your work that you feel strongly enough to leave, then do so.

Strike action was justified in a world without a welfare state or employee law.

The British worker is among the highest paid, best protected and most dissatisfied in the world. There is a message in there... :roll:

I am not suggesting that we all say bollocks to the world and adopt and I'm all right Jack mentality but strike action is a last resort for those who have no other option. It is not a stick to beat managment into doing your will, because you thereby give them every excuse to out source, or employ agency staff who are not so protected.

cchris2lou":3gstfrah said:
a village with a post office is a village alive , take away the post office , and all other shops will leave .

Village PO's are usually great as they are 'owned' by the people behind the counter. Its the big PO's run by nameless chain newsagents who pay the staff minimum wage that are generally rubbish IMO!

And my postman at office hates carrying all my parcels up the stairs. Seems to forget that the postage on those parcels pays his wages!

I dont really hav a problem with the PO or postmen, Mines been regular now for about a year and we have an understanding, because i work nights we work the 2 knock system on my door. First knock nice and quiet so if the wifes in she answers and i dont get woke up, 2nd knock, rattle f**k out the door till im awake so i dont have to trek down the post office later and he does'nt have to carry my crap round with him. Sometimes though ive answered the door half asleep then gone back to bed and woke up at dinner time with a parcel in bed with me :oops: :oops: thinking where the hell did that come from :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So we're unanimous in our lack of sympathy (except Jez who can't operate his own forum :p ).

Hopefully this will not affect my Karma :)

i drove past what can be loosely desribed as a 'picket line' at a distribution centre this morning. Three guys, two in uniform, one with a placard "Save our Jobs" and a dog I kid you not. One of the guys looked very embarassed to be there!

My brother in law is one of the people recently employed by the PO to make the numbers work. he's a sharp boy and comes from the private sector, he says what goes on is f*ckin scandalous. The basic grievance they have is the getting rid of final salary pensions which for anyone in a non public sector job is a flight of fancy anyway and they must realise this is unachievable in todays market.

His example about the issues - it costs the PO around £32 to get a letter to the outer hebrides for example, but you pay 30p, the way they fund this is by ripping off large businesses that are trapped by their monopoly. However, other options are becoming open to these frims so the PO is struggling to keep the cost to joe public down.

The mismanagement and keeping useless people in their jobs at sorting centres etc is the biggest headache apparently. Jez's story is pretty typical but you try firing people these days, especially from a public sector job where they are still in the final salary pension contract.. not easy !!!

Last time they were on strike he was delivering mail in the city to the big clients, 2 auditors from Deloittes took the day off to join him...yes thats right, an day of their annual leave to drive a post van round the city.... :?

I'm seeing him tomorrow so I'll get an update and let you know whats going on !!

what is really starting to annoy me is the union guy on News 24, stating the government own the RM, nooooo the PUBLIC own RM

Back