Old Campagnolo Tool

The original allen key/box spanner was L shaped. Sold hundreds of these in the 50's. The T shape was a notable improvement.
Not many metric tools about then, so this did everything on the Campagnolo gears of the time.

fiks":12wpq39q said:
From the 1985 catalogue:
campagnolo771doublesadd.jpg

Nice tool to have but not essential, IMO.

I thought the 1950s seatpins came in 2 version; the one for normal rails and the one for extra narrow rails (closer together).
They did, the narrow wires allowed more forward adjustment.

Seat Pins

The 1044 pin was for saddles with rails 36mm apart over a 60mm length, the 1045 was for saddles with rails 20mm apart over a 120mm length - according to the 1958 catalogue.

Old Ned":2j96n5ah said:
I tend to work on the rear bolt anyway but what about the front one? This does need to be adjusted especially if fitting a new saddle or on a new bike. Is the spanner that both you and Fiks mention able to reach from the rear and over the top of the rear bolt?

I always set the front bolt at teh right height and then tighten down the rear. My spanner does let me reach the front bolt without any difficulty.

"Nice tool to have but not essential, IMO"

Absolutely true. But I remember when the Campag seat pins first came out (I was 13 in 195:cool: thinking how nice they were - but definitely a luxury item since all saddles came as standard with a mounting bracket for a tubular pin.

Back