Not something you want to see in your rear view mirror

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Driving back from my parents house today with two bikes on the roof :)

Kona Hei Hei unused with unused Ringle, Hope, XTR bits :) and a cheapo Kinesis Crosslight recently built up with cheapo bits mostly from ebay and on here :)

Just gone around a corner, heard a scraping noise and saw a bike bouncing up the road behind me :shock:

Stopped the car looked up through the sunroof and saw ................

My Kona Hei Hei still on the roof :D so at least it was only the Kinesis that bounced up the road :) the car behind had stoped in time and not hit it and on first inspections it looks like I was lucky and its just a scuffed seat and handlebars :shock:

Looks like I hadn't even closed the clamp on the cycle rack let alone locked it Oops :?

yes that happened to us one time - bombing down the motorway at *ahem* a tad above the speed limit in the outside lane only for the 3 bikes on the rack to fly off into said lane and slide all the way into the hard shoulder, miraculously not hitting any cars in their trajectory... luckily only one bike suffered a bent handlebar (90 degrees bent, mind!).

Turns out my mate had fastened the bikes to each other but had omitted to fasten the bikes to the rack itself... :roll:

I had some thing very similar. Nice sunny day rushed out on my Klein got up the road and wished i'd taken more time. Forgot to do up the rear qr and the wheel moved out of the rear facing drop out and had tried to get in front of me :shock: The wheel looked like a salt n vinegar crisp. Plus would have been better if i'd not had ti spokes at the time. :roll:

a friend of mine lost his trek 7500 on a motorway in paris, it was only a week after he had reversed his car with rear mounted rack into a tree, bending his kona cindercone.

Back