Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As some of you are probably aware I purchased Awkward Kid’s Airborne Lucky Strike frameset after getting a bit of Ti addiction :oops: :LOL:

It all started with me picking up some Ti bar ends followed by a Ti stem and then some Ti bars … I then got this niggling thought about boxing up the Proflex and all its spares (keeping for a later date ;-)) and moving all the XTR M970 bits I had collected over to a Ti frame… I wasn’t actively looking for a frame but when the Airborne popped up for sale I liked some of the frames features and the Ti bug bit hard :LOL:

Awkward Kid’s build thread : http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... cky+strike

Once a deal was struck I soon received the package and upon opening I was quite surprised by some of the frames features that aren’t easily picked out with the camera, even when you know where to look :-(

Anyhow, this is how it arrived :

DSC05418.jpg

Dropout’s / v boss’s / pipe clip’s / chain catcher etc that might help date it (as I am still unsure of its age) :

DSC05410.jpg

This probably shows the welds and profile of the top tube best - it almost feels triangular (and potentially painful :LOL:) :

DSC05405.jpg

This is the forming on the rear stays :

DSC05388.jpg

The down tube is ovalised at the head tube, round in the middle and then very ovalised at the bb shell (across the width). You can 'just' see this on the side view of the frame pictured above.

The vernier says :

Top tube (constant triangle) : 28.9 x 36.0
Down tube (front) : 43.5 x 37.8
Down tube (middle) : 40.2 x 40.2
Down tube (back) : 45.5 x 35
Seat stays (constant round) : 22.2
Chain stays (constant round other than tyre clearance) : 22.2

The angle gauge says a one degree difference between head and seat angle. EDIT : I will check confirm this with something more accurate than the iPhone (I have a digi camber gauge I will use :D)

The serial number is SER02608

Is it ‘retro’ ? I am not quite sure … :? But it will be having V’s and a nice selection of retro goodies thrown in for good measure ;-)

I have quite a few more pictures / updates to add but I only get 30mins for dinner and my only net access at home is the iPhone !

WD :D

EDITED : To update the title to the correct year and comment on the angles :D

Well here is the Ti stuff that started the bug (you can see I have already dressed this up ready for blasting). Titec bars and stem with Titus bar ends :

DSC05422.jpg

DSC05434.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05430.jpg

As some of you may have seen on another thread and on the BV rebuild, I was worried about crimping the Ti bars. After a few enquires, 2 sets of BERTS turned up courtesy of ekiborter :cool: :cool:

As it turns out the BERTS are for the Titec / Bontrager 118g butted bars where I have the 150g plain gauge bars – therefore the diameter was a little bit big and they needed turning down to suit.

I found (what I thought at first to be useful) information on the bikepro site about the diameters wall thickness etc but the sums / measurements / components didn’t match up :? :-(

Taking an average ID of the bars and a average wall thickness based on 22.2mm OD my bars measured came out with a ID of 20.35mm

I turned the BERTS down to 20.32mm which allowed me to push them about half way in by hand before they got really tight. This seemed like it was going to work well so I covered them in Loctite and whacked them in :LOL:

Standard BERTS and one modified BERT at the point where they got ‘tight’ :

DSC05478.jpg

I know 271 isn’t really supposed to be a ‘retainer’ but A) it’s the best I had at home and B) I don’t think they will move, even without any Loctite on at all :LOL:

DSC05480.jpg

Loads of pics of the bits I have collected to date :

Rear with Ti bolt kit :

DSC04767.jpg

Front with Ti bolt kit :

DSC04764.jpg

DSC04335.jpg

DSC05026.jpg

DSC05017.jpg

DSC04375.jpg

Ti stuff for the above (more to come ;-)) :

DSC05272.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

DSC04385.jpg

DSC05028.jpg

Also got some M8’s versions of these for the forks :

DSC04379.jpg

Didn't think it would take you long to find it ;-) :cool: I am not the quickest of builders though ... :oops: :LOL:

This is the seat I will be using, the quote (and seat :LOL:) has been pinched off the ProFlex build :

WD Pro":grxyrcud said:
I also picked up a great condition Flite Transalp (thanks Archangel  :cool: ) :

untitled10.jpg

untitled11.jpg

But everything can be improved a little …  ;)  Spent a bit of time with the ‘wet n dry’ and good old kiwi :

DSC04339.jpg

DSC04340.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

DSC04342.jpg

WD :)

I also have the forks, XTR chain, Ti seat clamp, grips and frame protection. Ti headset spacers and a USE Ti post should be on their way to me now – more pictures soon i.e. when I have taken them :LOL:

I have yet to source :

Cables - Thinking of Goodridge, any comments on these ?
  Headset – Probably King
  Wheels – Not sure which way to go yet – crossmax’s / Spinergy’s (with spokes !) / custom etc:?
  USE post shim
  USE replacement clamp

And I need to finish the wide stem shim I am making to suit the Titec ‘Fat Head’ stem.

I am trying to build the bike quite light but without going ‘weenie’ or compromising its strength / performance. If anyone is interested in any of the component weights I have listed everything I have to date in the weight weenie forum :D

I have been sad enough to do myself a build spreadsheet to catalogue weight :oops: (and cost :-( :LOL:) It has surprised me on both counts :LOL: With weight ‘guesstimates’ for the stuff I don’t have yet it should come in at just under 22lb. The cost ? let’s just say I have had some 'very' good deals on the new stuff … ;-)

Def a king. I bought two and never fit them. I'd also plump for the Crossmax, they are superlight and look very cool. I'd expect you to get closer to 20lbs. You'll be surprised how light it feels and how it handles! Nice work on the Flite :cool:

Edit... Pic with Crossmax!

Attachments

• 19p_134.jpg
    19p_134.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16,133
that frame looks great! super components too(but must admit,I dont like the STI shifters).

Good to know i am not the only one to get addicted to TI :D

Awkward Kid":3pm5st6p said:
I'd also plump for the Crossmax, they are superlight and look very cool. I'd expect you to get closer to 20lbs. You'll be surprised how light it feels and how it handles!

Yeah, I really like the look of the modern crossmax :cool: but the jury is still out on their toughness :? I just missed out on some really nice ones off here and was beaten by GT Steve :LOL: he's not used them yet though and I keep mithering him for them (ARE YOU READING THIS STEVE ? ;-) :LOL:)

The 22 ish quoted is a 'real' weight ;-) I think the spreadsheet I have done is pretty comprehensive and the only guesses are on the few bits I haven't got yet. Everything else has been on the calibrated scales a work i.e. The finished weight should be pretty damn close :D Most questions I normally see about weight on here are normally doubting how 'light' something is, not that it should be lighter ;-) :LOL:

Lenni":3pm5st6p said:
that frame looks great! super components too(but must admit,I dont like the STI shifters).

Thanks :cool: the shifters are a new thing for me but at just less than £70 (brand new), they were (I suspect) a 'wrongly' priced bargain I just couldn't resist :LOL:

The frame is dressed up now and ready for blasting - the decals are gone :-( but so are all the sharp edges on the pipe clips and cnc’d dropouts etc :cool:

I found that one of the rear frame bosses had at some point in the past, had a standard (rather than fine) pitch canti boss partially screwed in :? :

DSC05486.jpg

An eBay tap of the correct pitch came to the rescue :

DSC05488.jpg

It didn’t actually cut anything out, just a bit of resistance so I can only presume it just re-formed the de-formed threads ? Anyhow, the result was really good :

DSC05493.jpg

DSC05498.jpg

Loverly jubbly ;) :cool:

I think I need to try and find more Ti bits for my King kahuna ;) Anyone got a stem, seatpost etc etc :roll: :LOL:

ps, where did you get the ti kit for the xtr V's?

Back