Cracked 853 should I MIG weld it?

I still haven't reached a decision - trying to concentrate now on the Brighton Big Dog on the retrobike, although I'm not in the retro cat, pairs with a very fast pal - the pressure!

Well, I have been in correspondance again with SJS, asking about the reapir, and the 2 year warranty, also trying to negociate the settlement up a tadge. Well, it's all gone very sh1ty indeed, I seem to have offended the main man (designer not the owner) by refusing the Sterling. They are not budging any! and are refusing to enter into any further dialogue until I choose an option. I'd like to add it did take a fair bit of effort and careful letter writing to get that which I have printed - it was the Sterling and nothing else at the start of this.

I'll guess I'll take either the 300 or the repair, just need some space from it for a week or so now.

Thanks for the repiles, it has been of help.

Pete

Hope the repair lasts

5044488243_f8280d9a83.jpg

5045110874_87141645f8.jpg

5044488871_9b2a24f405.jpg

5044489525_7469e2c96f.jpg

Looking good! If you tried, I'm sure you could fit a bit more helicopter tape on there :LOL:

Post a report when you've given it a good thrashing.

ha ha - that's the result of my motor industry contacts - all off-cuts from the die cutting. I can't say which brand ;)

Two rainy rides in, and it feels good, but I don't think the two together qualify as a "thrashing". Still a dry weekend is forecast..

My personal take, seeing as no one asked, is that Thorn have come out very badly here.

Lifetime means lifetime, and if you put that on your blurb to sell you should make sure you back it up in a no quibble manner.

If this was me you would have received an upgraded model, fully kitted out with goodies that after all would not have cost me a fraction of their retail value.

Are they worried about having customers deliberately breaking their frames or something?

Just how often do they need to do this kind of thing?

Not great advertising at all to have issues like this popping up when one searches a brand online. Not good business at all, and as Thorn are indeed an unusual brand that is exactly what one does when researching a purchase.

Repair, once agreed, should have been done with colour and decals as required and no limitation on warranty, with a service and renewal of components thrown in to compensate for your inconvenience.

Imagine, if they had done the right thing, how someone searching for info on Thorn would react to reading about how good their customer care was? You bet, they would push the button on that Thorn they were considering with no hesitation.

Poor show Thorn, you missed a trick.

:)

from that photo looks like quite a respectable job; hopefully it is not a layer of car filler :roll:

re: Thorn - I am not sure everybody realises the sperad of the web and how easily it is for information to get around; from what you say, ti doesn't make them look good. :evil:

Yeah, I had this experience already with a business I was involved in. Dozens of happy customers, then one that did not work out well at first went mentioning it online before we had a chance to rectify the issue, which we went on to do as soon as possible.

Damage already done though.

Reputations for a small concern are almost as fragile as, em, let me think...

:)

Back