SPD Cleat Compatibility

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
OK, here's todays numpty question. Are all SPD cleats the same?

I found some pedals at the back of the garage, i think they are Wellgo but have no markings. Will they be compatible with the Shimano cleats that came with my XTR pedals? :?

DSC00680.jpg

not properly. there are two types of shimano cleat, sh51 & the multi release sh52.

wellgo & other copy-spd pedals use a slighty different cleat shape, that kind of works but you'll find it wont engage or release very well, & will sometimes be a bit iffy when your are in a panic!

Hmmmmm, i have the normal release cleats. The Wellgo cleats on CRC say Shimano compatible.

I guess i'll just ride 'em and see if i fall off :)

Had some recent cleat compatibility issues myself, I've always used VP104 SPD's with VP cleats on all my bikes. Recently purchased a pair of Shimano M520's for my road bike, the Shimano cleats work brilliantly with the VP pedals. The Shimano cleats give you a positive loud click on both types of pedals which you don't get with the VP cleats, unclipping is much more positive and consistent. I since have bought another pair of Shimano single release cleats to use with the VP pedals on my MTB's.

VP - Wellgo - Tioga pedals all use the same cleats as far as I know.

Back