L'eroica - advice needed on suitable bike and facial hair

pigman":3c7qviyu said:
I reckon compact as we know it is definitely post '87, so to satisfy the scrutineers, that's out. Was a nuovo record triple available? I know a C record triple was available at around that date??.
You can go down to a 41 on a NR chainset and a 28 at the back, which is considerably lower than what you have. Your other option (breaking the NR groupset of course) is to fit the tourists favourites of TA or stronglight or maybe a 1st gen MTB chainset.

Personally, I'd keep the bike campag NR and fit the 41x28. You can do it, in the same way we rode the peak district on 42x21 - now 39x25 can seem overgeared; you'll achieve it on whatever you have.

Actually, a compact will be fine as the scrutineers are looking for downtube shifters, quill pedals and exposed brake cables so in theory you could ride a brand new Mercian as long as it had the above.

I'm still a little conflicted as although I agree that better to keep it 'pure' but the knee saving potential of a compact is pretty enticing especially as the 48t 'big' ring can be used a lot to look like a strongman.

First step is fitting the 28t though I reckon.

Raleigh were using 110mm compact SR chainsets on several of their bikes in '87 Certainly I had a 50/36 as standard on a Raleigh Royal & Royal Lady, Zenith Town & around etc.
Also the Raleigh touring 18 that was available to the US market in their 1983 brochure had a triple chainset fitted (52/42/33 apparently)

Anyways I have an SR Super custom which has an 86BCD fitted with 50/32 you could have a loan of (I've got an even smaller ring if required)
let us know if you'd like to borrow it.
cheers

tonyf39":gpynwquq said:
Raleigh were using 110mm compact SR chainsets on several of their bikes in '87 Certainly I had a 50/36 as standard on a Raleigh Royal & Royal Lady, Zenith Town & around etc.
Also the Raleigh touring 18 that was available to the US market in their 1983 brochure had a triple chainset fitted (52/42/33 apparently)

Anyways I have an SR Super custom which has an 86BCD fitted with 50/32 you could have a loan of (I've got an even smaller ring if required)
let us know if you'd like to borrow it.
cheers

Thanks Tony, the SR compact sounds great, I'll PM you

To those that are going/gone I wish you luck. Have a great time and keep us informed.

I can not wait to hear about your exploits on your return with lots of pictures and a nice long report too.

Hopefully I will make it next year.

Back