1992 Marin Bear Valley

Rich Aitch

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This came about because of a sudden urge to have "one of those matt coloured Marins" that I could never afford in the olden days. It was the start of a slippery slope that eventually led to me joining Retrobike and finding that there are people far worse than me for accumulating bikes...

More details to follow, I just want to get pages set up for my bikes before I forget how to do it!

Attachments

• 1992 BEAR VALLEY.JPG
    1992 BEAR VALLEY.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 9,071
Biopace chain rings, they really make a difference on long rides

Attachments

• the joy of Biopace.JPG
    the joy of Biopace.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 8,545
It came with an original Marin saddle, although not I think a Marin Lite one, rarely used as it isn't comfy! New swan neck seat pillar replaced similar Marin Lite original.

Attachments

• saddle.JPG
    saddle.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 8,543
Marin's odd little pulley arrangement for the front brake, if the pulleys seize like on my other Marin I'm sure they make break squeal worse.

Attachments

• Pulley.JPG
    Pulley.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 8,538
For ages I instinctively used the Muirwoods and didn't really seem to get on with the BV. I even thought about selling it :shock: But then just before the Settle to Malham ride in February one of the shifters went completly, so I had to use the BV for the ride and I've used it every day since, just about.
It skips across stuff a bit more, I think the weight difference is more due to the Marin Lite bars and stem, rather than the butted tubes or LX cranks.
I went back to my Muirwoods for a little ride yesterday and I was shocked by how heavy and inert it was, it felt like it was glued to the track!

I'll be keeping it now!

Back