Dynatech racer

Russell

Old School Grand Master
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Okay this is a wierd one...

Russell you are right, the red hologram sticker was for steel framed bikes. It would have a blue edge if it were Ti and be 2070 (I think, I am at sea and working from memory).

The frame however has the correct cable stops and butting to be Ti. Also the colour scheme is concurrent with 1991/1992 Ti models.

Judging by the horrible mish mash of componentry this is a Ti frame with the wrong sticker kit on it, as for the build, I could do better with what I have binned over the years, but I digress...

It may be a warranty frame, My Dyna Tech Ti was coloured and stickered as a 405Ti but had Ti chainstays and is much lighter than a 405Ti should be, the frame was replaced under warranty and it would seem that it is infact a 625Ti frame that was repainted and stickered as the Bonded Dyna Tech's were at the end of the line at this point. This could even be a similar situation. (?)

I was looking at this myself, to me looks like the rear stays, forks and head tube are steel, which figures, as there is evidence of rust. Googled 2060 and came up with aluminium tubeset?

Nah, the 2060 frameset was based around a 531 main triangle with no-mark stays I think. The 2070 was also a steel frameset but was a little lighter than a 2060. I know this because I had a 2070 bike which is why I wondered why a Ti frame would have a 2060 sticker on it?

Like you say, clearly looks like rust on the stays so how can he claim its Titanium? Have asked him but got no response yet.

AFAIK, none of the 20 series dynatechs had aluminium tubes, they were all steel or Ti main tubes with Aluminium lugs.

Hmmm, I was interested too but not so sure now... The 1984 was aparently taken from the frame number and clearly wrong! What are the differences between ti and steel in terms of frame butting and cables stops then? And does the fact it seems to say 505 on the top tube mean anything?

ian

2060 tubeset was a custom version of 531sl designed for the bonded lugs (i.e. shorter "thick ends" on the butted tubes). 2070 was the same only drawn to 753 specifications.

you might just be able to see the 2070 sticker on this one...
135573547_c5b7074be9.jpg

and the traditional side on view ;)
135573544_31177faecb_b.jpg

Wasn't there also a 2080 for some of the framesets Raleigh sold? I always assumed 2060 was equivalent to 531, 2070 was 653 and 2080 was 753... but it was only an assumption. I also remember reading an interview in an early C+ with a special products devision guy talking about carbon fibre DynaTechs. Wonder if any of those are still around?

I used to race a '91 DynaTech 600. It was such a fast bike, right up until I put an Orange Clockwork frame into the rear wheel and snapped the DynaTech's seat stays. Don't ask :?

2060 = 531 tubes
2070 = 653 tubes, rear triangle 531
2080 = 753 tubes

2080 frames must be rare as the 1991 UK catalogue doesn't list any
models, ti frames came along in 1992. I think there was a 2090
frameset too, using composite main tubes. There were also 2055
framesets (Sentinel MTB and Tourlite touring bikes for example),
not sure what tubes these used (501?).

Scant information on all this, some interesting stuff here:

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Raleigh/Raleigh91.pdf

Titanium tubesets were 2125 and 2325 - and others?

Metal Matrix tubing (MT5 frame, Decade bike) was badged "XT100".

Back