which GT frame is this and which year?

I'm about to email the seller - is there a consensus here? It seems 50/50... don't want to cause a hassle when there may be none. Perhaps I should weigh it - would that help? What else can I do to check it's the real thing before I send the email to the seller?

Is it me or are the welds not great for a Zaskar either?

a quick scout of bike-alog confirms that zaskars for the relevant years were 6061...

Zasker

As I mentioned B4 I have had a few and had a Zasker at the same time as other models ,Avalanche, Arrow, Pantera, Backwoods and Bravado and the Welds and down tube look typical Zasker, they were not that a fancy frame, just ahead of their time with the fat tubes. The earlier US Reynolds tubed steel frames IMHO were their best frames (excepting the Xizang and Lightening of course :LOL: )

Its definately not a Zaskar, at least not a mid to early '90's model. Curved top tube end plate is a dead give away, and its 7005, Zaskars were 6061, all of which has been noted by others here. Don't know what happened to the frames after the mid '90s though? Might be a later model?

Trouble at the moment is that people have seen the Zas make it into the top 10 best bikes of all time in a recent mag and heard about the re-issue and all sorts of random aluminium GT tat is being touted as a Zaskar.

Be wary, and don't offer big money :)

the downtube decal is very middle-90s, as is the routing for a canti cable

if that's later than a 98, i'd be surprised.

i think the gusset moved from under the top tube to under the down tube in 1994-1995

bit late for that - bought already, was going to sell on in my usual style, but need to check I have what I think I have... if not a Zaskar - back to seller!!

Papadirt's '96 (I think) Zaskar had a similar downtube sticker and the serial number on the outside of the non-driveside(iirc) dropout.

pbpic245818.jpg

someone removing the top-tube sticker is a surefire sign they want to hide what it is.

as a callow yoof around the time this'd have been current, my LBS was a GT dealer. i always was one for anal memorisation.

Back