Cracked 853 should I MIG weld it?

You could ask for two of the new frames.

This is pretty damning stuff for a company that builds bikes for extended touring.

Anthony":3azgy5fl said:
I don't think a supplier is under any legal liability to give a refund.

no but they are offering a lower quality frame in the wrong size. they cant supply what is needed.

i work in retail and in that situation i'd offer a refund.

i think it might be worth contacting trading standards.

lewis1641":qs3vlnx4 said:
Anthony":qs3vlnx4 said:

no but they are offering a lower quality frame in the wrong size. they cant supply what is needed.

i work in retail and in that situation i'd offer a refund.

i think it might be worth contacting trading standards.

Sort of what I was thinking.. I'm too long out of retail to have followed the law.. but if they don't have a suitable replacement and can't/won't repair (although, it looks like they may be looking at that now) then there can't be many alternatives.

lewis1641":2q67ad77 said:
Anthony":2q67ad77 said:
That's why I said previously "I think you are within your rights to require them to either repair it or replace it with a frame of similar type and value". Provided they do that, I don't think they are under an obligation to offer a refund as an alternative. But even so, as you say many suppliers would do so as a goodwill gesture/to keep a customer.

No, no not fillet brazing - 'bronze welding'! It is used in the consruction of motorcycle tubed frames, and race car tubular body structures. It's a lower than weld heat technique, but it isn't brazing, much stronger from what little I've discovered about the technique, than braze but not as strong as weld, but the lower temperature technique, hopefully shouldn't have any further detrimental affect on the previously TIG welded parts that it needs to attach to. I've been welding for over 25 years and I had to google it!

They are now offering me that (with 853 in the repair), and a single colour repaint with a two year warranty on the work, or the frame I don't like/want and continue the lifetime warranty or £300. I'll almost certainly take one option, unfortunately £300 isn't going to get me anything I like - I've checked. I quite liked my old Thorn....guess I'm leaning that way at the moment but not decided yet.

Kinda blows does that..

They sell you a lifetime warranty item, it's broken through no fault of your own and they offer you half what you paid, a frame that isn't equivalent or a fix that will only carry a 2 year warranty... :roll:

Woodsman":2kifyzm8 said:
No, no not fillet brazing - 'bronze welding'! It is used in the consruction of motorcycle tubed frames, and race car tubular body structures. It's a lower than weld heat technique, but it isn't brazing, much stronger from what little I've discovered about the technique, than braze but not as strong as weld, but the lower temperature technique, hopefully shouldn't have any further detrimental affect on the previously TIG welded parts that it needs to attach to. I've been welding for over 25 years and I had to google it!

They are now offering me that (with 853 in the repair), and a single colour repaint with a two year warranty on the work, or the frame I don't like/want and continue the lifetime warranty or £300. I'll almost certainly take one option, unfortunately £300 isn't going to get me anything I like - I've checked. I quite liked my old Thorn....guess I'm leaning that way at the moment but not decided yet.

Its the same technic ;)
You can really make a comparison with TIG and brazing. Some tubes like the Fat chance true temper for example, were made for TIG. When you weld it, you make a heat tretment too of the metal. But If you have to repair it, you loose the treatment.
On other hand, for more classic steel, brazing is enough.
But, I didn't know the 853. But a lot of reynolds tubes are lugged or brazed. So…

IDB1":3clyny91 said:
Kinda blows does that..

They sell you a lifetime warranty item, it's broken through no fault of your own and they offer you half what you paid, a frame that isn't equivalent or a fix that will only carry a 2 year warranty... :roll:

its good of thjem to offer a warranty on the repair. as i understand the law once you have used the warranty there is no further obligation

Back